cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Bad Driving Decision

Fixes: 121

A Bad Driving Decision

Woman, 20, charged with dangerous driving
It must have been when she rounded the bend on the slip road that it dawned on the driver of this little car that she was going in the wrong direction.

Amazingly, no one was injured when the incident took place last Tuesday outside Aberdeen.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: A Bad Driving Decision

As you say amazingly (more by luck than judgement) nobody was badly injured but, hasn't she left a trail of destruction in her wake.
One might think that the driver was perhaps getting on in years and was perhaps a little confused as the aged can do. But no! this was a young lady in her twenties.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Quote from: Petlew
One might think that the driver was perhaps getting on in years and was perhaps a little confused as the aged can do. But no! this was a young lady in her twenties.

That was my first thought when I saw the headline.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

That Roadhawk is some piece of kit...what an amazing video.
Incredibly lucky she survived with two HGVs to contend with.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

I am at a loss to understand how she could have gone down the wrong slip road.
It was daylight, visibility good and there are always No-Entry signs. Sat-Nav?

Over the years I've had a number of drivers coming at me on the wrong carriageway, once it happened twice within a mile.
In both these instances the driver was turning right onto a dual carriageway and didn't realise it was a dual carriageway, ending up going south on the northbound section.
No amount of horn blowing or waving seemed to make a difference.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
I am at a loss to understand how she could have gone down the wrong slip road.
It was daylight, visibility good and there are always No-Entry signs. Sat-Nav?

There are no No Entry just white arrows on the road,
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=a90&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=17.65...

@itsme
But it's still clear which road she should have taken.
Quote from: Strat
In both these instances the driver was turning right onto a dual carriageway and didn't realise it was a dual carriageway, ending up going south on the northbound section.

I still don't understand how this mistake can be made when you'll have No Right turn signs before the junction and a direction arrow opposite.
I know some signs can get obscured, but all of them at any one junction?

itsme
Grafter

The direction arrows look badly worn when google did the street view so could be even worst now.

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: Strat

I still don't understand how this mistake can be made when you'll have No Right turn signs before the junction and a direction arrow opposite.

Interestingly both the junctions I spoke about have since been altered to make it far less likely to perform the same manoeuvre again.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A few years back in Croydon I saw a car stranded on the tram tracks. The driver had not noticed bear left, no entry and tramway signs. So when the road veered left and the tram tracks went straight on (in railway mode with sleepers and ballast) they kept straight on realising their mistake too late.
I don't know the gender of the driver but there was a group of embarrassed young people standing by the car waiting to be rescued. This was early in the day so drink was unlikely to have been involved. It's not just folks in their dotage who make these foolish mistakes.

Here's a section of the Sheffield Supertram where the track, having used the road for a while, continues straight up while the road veers off to the right.
As can be seen much has been done to warn and guide the motorist but I know of at least one incident where a car driver carried straight on up the track.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Crystal+Peaks,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.8...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had a fatal on a slip road yesterday just off the A12 http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/8945854.Victim_of_fatal_A12_crash_named/?ref=mr
looks like  the Rav 4 went under the back of a truck and the Tail lift support went right through the car
john50
Grafter

Many  years ago I had a car come at me the wrong way down  Feltham High St fairly closely followed by 2 police cars.......my 20 ton armoured lorry soon bounced him back onto the correct side of the road,  Tongue
Turned out he'd just robbed another Securicor van down the road but his escape came to a crunching end.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1