Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9PM BBC4 Age of the Train: The Intercity 125

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

9PM BBC4 Age of the Train: The Intercity 125

9PM tonight, BBC4
Linky
In 1976 a new high-speed train, the Inter-City 125, helped save British Rail, an unfashionable nationalised industry suffering from a financial crisis, industrial relations problems and a poor public image. The train was launched with the help of a memorable advertising campaign, fronted by Sir Jimmy Savile, which announced that the 1980s would be the 'age of the train'. BR had an energetic new boss, Sir Peter Parker, who was determined to revive the railways. The result was a typically British success story, full of surprises and setbacks, as this documentary shows.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 9PM BBC4 Age of the Train: The Intercity 125

Surprised nobody has replied to this, I watched it and it took me back a few years...
I remember the advert with (Sir) Jimmy Saville, 'This is the age of the train'.  Those were the days...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: 9PM BBC4 Age of the Train: The Intercity 125

Interesting show. It talked about how Maggie Thatcher disliked the railways and yet under her rule, they had the best growth, development and support in decades. Not enough but more than they'd previously had.
I remember the Intercity as a kid. I was fascinated by it and when my friend had an electric train set with the Intercity 125 you couldn't get either of us away from it for love or money  Smiley When I finally got to go on one in my teens I was a bit disappointed to be honest. The train was a unclean and the toilet  Shocked Despite that it was a great ride, really comfortable and smooth and I can definitely understand the charm of them. Plus of course it was BRITISH BUILT and YES! I am proud of it! This used to be a great nation!
It was interesting to see both the APT-E and APT-P in action in several scenes, I've not found much on youtube about the E version that shows it moving under its own power. I don't even remember the P as a kid to be honest only the Intercity.125 and the faithful class 421 / 423s that I loved so much in their nice new NSE livery. I'd love to ride on the P one day but seeing as the turbines have been mothballed and the jet fuel bill would be £Mega I think I'd need a substantial lotto win  Cheesy
I've got to hand it to British Rail, they were really inspirational to me as a kid. They achieved so many cool BIG things despite all of their faults and now they're stuck running a back office selling off disused railway land as BRBR Angry
Anyway I thought it was a great show - I only found it thanks to watching something else on iPlayer on the BBC site and noticed at the end that the intercity program was listed at 9 - what a bit of luck!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!