cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

999 - 55

Infinity
Pro
Posts: 5,601
Thanks: 149
Fixes: 2
Registered: 19-06-2011

999 - 55

When you call 999, an operator asks which emergency service you require before rerouting the call to the police, ambulance service or fire brigade.

 

In certain situations, it may not be safe to make a noise – for example it could alert a potential attacker to your exact whereabouts.

 

You simply dial 55.

The procedure is called Silent Solutions and it was created so people in an emergency can call the police in dangerous situations.

After you dial 999 and you’ve been unable to audibly signal to the operator, your call will be forwarded to an operating system.

If you’re in danger, dial 55 otherwise the call will be terminated.

The ‘55’ Silent Solution protocol has been in place for over a decade, although police have recently issued a reminder as not many people know about the protocol.

10 REPLIES
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,526
Thanks: 430
Fixes: 35
Registered: 02-03-2016

Re: 999 - 55


Infinity wrote:


After you dial 999 and you’ve been unable to audibly signal to the operator, your call will be forwarded to an operating system.


 Hopefully not Windows Vista...

 

 

I'll get my coat Smiley

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 219
Fixes: 1
Registered: 04-08-2009

Re: 999 - 55

@Infinity

Not quite correct! If the operator doesn't hear an immediate voice, in other words there's total silence, you will be prompted to tap the handset, cough or make some sort of noise. At this point the operator will put the call through to the 55 service and you will be prompted to dial 55. The call can then be traced.

 

Minivanman
Hero
Posts: 4,794
Thanks: 1,046
Fixes: 1
Registered: 04-11-2014

Re: 999 - 55

Or, you could just send a text.

Just saying. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 219
Fixes: 1
Registered: 04-08-2009

Re: 999 - 55

You might mistype "help" in your mad panic. They wouldn't know what "ndlo" meant! Think about it. Wink

 

You make a good point actually. I got my mobile registered just in case for when we're out in the wilds with not much of a phone signal.

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

The way this works is that your phone will look for any mobile signal, not just your own provider's, in the same way that a 999 call does. And because the text data content is tiny it stands a good chance of getting through when it catches a signal. Many a mountain walker has been helped by this.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 340
Fixes: 2
Registered: 05-09-2016

Re: 999 - 55

@nozzer  I thought they could trace your call regardless of whether you spoke, coughed etc.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 3,217
Thanks: 253
Fixes: 7
Registered: 30-07-2008

Re: 999 - 55

@Jonpe  Yes, it can be. The point is that with so many accidental/malicious silent calls, without the 55 it probably won't be.

Not young enough to know everything
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 340
Fixes: 2
Registered: 05-09-2016

Re: 999 - 55

If the system is operated by BT they'd probably send the coastguard to someone calling from Leicester if no specific service is requested.

Community Veteran
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 339
Fixes: 12
Registered: 24-10-2013

Re: 999 - 55


nozzer wrote:

You might mistype "help" in your mad panic. They wouldn't know what "ndlo" meant! Think about it. Wink

 

You make a good point actually. I got my mobile registered just in case for when we're out in the wilds with not much of a phone signal.

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

The way this works is that your phone will look for any mobile signal, not just your own provider's, in the same way that a 999 call does. And because the text data content is tiny it stands a good chance of getting through when it catches a signal. Many a mountain walker has been helped by this.


although it does say "the service is for people who cannot make voice calls because they have a hearing loss or a speech impairment."

not for anyeone that just finds a need to send an SMS.

Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,789
Thanks: 1,134
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Re: 999 - 55

nozzer wrote:

you will be prompted to tap the handset

Preferably 3 short taps followed by 3 long taps followed by 3 short taps.

 


 

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 219
Fixes: 1
Registered: 04-08-2009

Re: 999 - 55


chenks76 wrote:

nozzer wrote:

You might mistype "help" in your mad panic. They wouldn't know what "ndlo" meant! Think about it. Wink

 

You make a good point actually. I got my mobile registered just in case for when we're out in the wilds with not much of a phone signal.

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

The way this works is that your phone will look for any mobile signal, not just your own provider's, in the same way that a 999 call does. And because the text data content is tiny it stands a good chance of getting through when it catches a signal. Many a mountain walker has been helped by this.


although it does say "the service is for people who cannot make voice calls because they have a hearing loss or a speech impairment."

not for anyeone that just finds a need to send an SMS.


 

@chenks76

Although the web site does say that, the facility is also promoted widely by walking and mountaineering organisations and has been used successfully on many occasions by that group of people. I don't think anyone objects to them using it under the right circumstances.