Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 things to be thankful for in the UK!

Steve
Pro

8 things to be thankful for in the UK!

1. Free banking
Free banking is an unusual thing outside the UK. In most countries it is usual to be charged a monthly fee, and then also to have to pay for chequebooks and other sundries, which can add up for a fair few quid a year!
Yes, banks in the UK may recoup some of this through steep overdraft charges and other fees, but generally speaking, stay in the black and you won't need to pay a penny.

The other seven can be read here....http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/8-things-thankful-UK-yahoofinanceuk-4164886492.html
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 8 things to be thankful for in the UK!

Free banking - unusual Undecided  I don't think so.  My American bank account is free and that includes my debit card and cheque book. Some of the other things on your list also are not strictly true.
Steve
Pro

Exactly artmo hence the reason why I posted It. Load of tosh.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Gotta be honest, some of that sounded like government PR..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

IMHO the UK banks are amoung the worst in the 1st world.

itsme
Grafter

You not familiar with the French Banks. Go back 50 years on how UK use to run and that's French banking. Bank charges and you can only use your branch.
Community Veteran

@itsme:- I've a business account (euro) with a French bank, agreed it was bad 15 years ago but has (to me) improved a lot in the past 5 years:- Freephone direct to the Branch, Personal Banker, No telephone queueing, email communications, transfer money in and out (in Euro anywhere in ) sans charge.
Agreed there are charges, but interest rates on current accounts are higher which more than offset the charges.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you seen this about French banks? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14910485  dated today
Credit rating agency Moody's has downgraded two French banks because of their exposure to Greek debt.
Credit Agricole was cut from Aa1 to Aa2 and  Societe Generale from Aa2 to Aa3.
A third bank, BNP Paribas, was kept on review for a possible downgrade.
Community Veteran

@pierre:- thanks for the link. It's out of my control, no point in worrying about it.