Did you mean: 

7up, nothing but trouble!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

7up, nothing but trouble!!

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 7up, nothing but trouble!!

The dual-language laws in Canada have some very strange side-effects, even here in the EU.  Sad
I have, several times, flown on holiday (between UK and Greece) on an charter flight aircraft carrying 100% British holidaymakers with a 100% British crew.
BUT, because the aircraft was leased (by a European company) from a Canadian owner all the in-flight communications were in both English and French.
No-one could really explain why, but the crew said they had been told it was mandatory!  Crazy
Fixes: 125

Reminds me of when a friend and I were on a school holiday in Belgium when we were 14.
We asked for a lemonade each in a beach-front cafe and were given two Stella Artois. We never complained  Cheesy Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

To be fair, despite 7up having more sugar, sprite now tastes foul. It used to be a pleasant drink until they changed the recipe and started using all those replacement sweeteners. Suddenly the lemon and lime flavours vanished and all it really tasted of was chemicals.
I rang them to complain only to end up speaking to a woman who assured me she had a can the other day and found it rather pleasant. Ok, don't listen to customers then.. i'll go back to the competition is what i thought.
7up has had a sneaky flavour change recently too but it's still nothing near as bad as that of sprite.
Would i care if i was served the wrong one? Yes. Would i care about it being the wrong language? No.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

You're up late 7up, restless baby? Has the Memsahib hit you on feeding and nappy changing duties?? Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Going back to M. Thebodeau French speakers in Canada have caused no end of problems for themselves and the English speakers. They have the neverendum about Quebec independence (a lesson for Scotland there) which has resulted in large scale economic migration of business from Montreal to Toronto.
On a similar subject I have relations on Victoria Island in British Columbia ( the clue is in the name) where you never hear French from one year to the next,  but all official forms have to bilingual French and English and official offices have to have French speakers available. Canada is probably the most laid back, easy going amenable nation on the planet but the Francophones could spoil it all.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
itsme
Grafter

Never notice in Switzerland a similar paranoid with the 2 main languages.  Just seem to be a line drawn across the country, above the line everything is in German below the line it's French.
Community Veteran

But in my experience the Swiss are all fluent in English anyway!  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Never notice in Switzerland a similar paranoid with the 2 main languages. 

Actually the Swiss have 4 official languages - there are as much as four different official languages: German (74%), French (20%), Italian (4%) and Romansh (1%) - the remaining 1% speaks other languages.
itsme
Grafter

Have experienced a French speaking Swiss asked a Germany speaking Swiss to speak in English.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
Quote from: itsme
Never notice in Switzerland a similar paranoid with the 2 main languages. 

Actually the Swiss have 4 official languages - there are as much as four different official languages: German (74%), French (20%), Italian (4%) and Romansh (1%) - the remaining 1% speaks other languages.

Did I not say main?
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Swiss are all fluent in English anyway!  Smiley

Not some of the taxi drivers I had in Zurich and Geneva. I found it useful to carry a written copy of any address where I was expecting a taxi driver to take me in Switzerland. You could often rile them by giving instructions in German in Geneva or in French while in Zurich.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: doris
You're up late 7up, restless baby? Has the Memsahib hit you on feeding and nappy changing duties?? Huh

Not exactly but i have been very busy...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Last taxi driver I remember in Zurich was Palestinian  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

When I was a student staying in St Moritz (student hostel) we went to a fruit shop to buy some apples and hit a problem
Between us we spoke English, French and German - no luck he only spoke Romansh but the old backup worked (sign language)  Grin