Did you mean: 

7 Degrees of Insulation

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

7 Degrees of Insulation

The Utility Room has a large, Double Glazed, fixed window, approx 4ft x 6ft
Plus a smaller opening window.
And sealed apertures for washing machine water, dryer etc.
Even though there is a small CH radiator, it is always a bit chilly in the Winter.
I tried a method of keeping out the cold, which seems to work extremely well.

Outside Air Temp this morning is 2.6ºC
Inside, at the window glass, it is 10.3ºC
Room temperature 15.4ºC
So, I came up with the idea of using a spare Double Sleeping Bag as insulation, against the window.
Four suspension points later, and now with the window covered, new readings taken.
Between the glass and the sleeping bag, temperature is now 12.3ºC
On the other inside of the sleeping bag, temperature is 19.8ºC

Seven Degrees of Insulation !!

Room temperature now a warm 21.2ºC, with CH Radiator on.
Radiator will now be turned off, and see how the temperatures compare during the next cold spell.
3 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: 7 Degrees of Insulation

tin foil has a similar effect, also if the radiator is on the outside wall get something called radflex its a thermodynamic sheet you drop behind the radiator to reflect all the heat back into the room (its heavy duty tinfoil with a plastic coating) but props for thinking outside the box Smiley
I put curtains on all my windows (heavy duty lined ones) which make a few degrees of change as well
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I did all my Radiators foil backing with the special foil last year, probably made a difference.
Main noticeable work has been Cavity Wall Insulation, and extra 6" Loft Lagging in the past couple of years.
Both done for free under Government & Local Council initiative.
Upstairs floors now noticeably much warmer than downstairs, with the heat rising, around 3ºC warmer, in fact, most radiators upstairs are now turned off these days, with a touch of electric Spot heating if required on really cold days / nights here in the Study. Three days last Winter.
But, the Utility Room was just that bit chilly, if the dryer wasn't in use, so I'm glad the Sleeping Bag works.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

tbh so long as its cheap /free and it works that's really all that matters Smiley
I did some stuff a while back that cost me a few quid but saved me hundreds over the course of the year, the downside was as always the long haired colonel wasn't impressed with my practical solution so i'll probably have to redo it at some point in the near future so its a wee bit more stylish and a darn sight less practical .......unless of course she decides finally that its fine cos the proper job would be too expensive (fat chance)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you