cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6K a day from bus lane camera!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

6K a day from bus lane camera!

Saw this on the BBC site, enough to make your eyes water. But is the driver at fault, considering they should know better!

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 6K a day from bus lane camera!

Well, they are called BUS lanes... Crazy3

Fixes: 47

I incurred a penalty last year for going through a bus gate.

I was in the wrong but avoiding it would have required a 'U' turn in a busy narrow road during the rush hour in the city centre.

My destination was 10 feet the other side of the bus gate so without any more consideration I went for it.

The penalty notice came through the post a week later and I immediately paid online at a discount.

As an aside Sheffield Council have introduced a new online system for making parking fine appeals quicker and easier.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat   just as well it wasn`t one of these  .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCSsope5vOA

the second guy seems a bit upset ! ! ..

and the van after that certainly takes a jump ! ! ..

JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Strat will possibly know the bus lane on Glossop Road going up towards the university, and so do I now - my 'snapshot' showed me and a long line of other cars all going through the timed bus gate at 1601 (2 minutes earlier and we would have been OK.)

What made it worse was that I thought the brown envelope that plopped on my doormat was just another boring bit of paperwork from Sheffield City Council, so I ignored it for a month or so and finished up paying £60 instead of £30. Angry

All my own fault of course, but boy these bus gates can be hard to spot if you're not used to the area, especially if you also need to look at your watch (I wonder if you could get fined for that too?! Cry)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just to lighten your day...

( on the theme of parking barriers ! ! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJCC91sPUM

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed they are @twocvbloke but sometimes that fact is not as clear or obvious as it should be. Still, I guess they need the money...... to pay for the equipment and the wages of the guys that collect the money. 

Swings, roundabouts and merry go rounds in cash strapped Wonderland - otherwise known as your Local Council.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Indeed they are @twocvbloke but sometimes that fact is not as clear or obvious as it should be.

I'd have thought the fact that there were big bus-shaped vehicles travelling along roadways with "BUSES ONLY" painted on the road in big white letters itself would be obvious clues, assuming the driver was paying attention to where they were driving of course.......... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

Well I did say sometimes, and reports do say "underhand tactics" are being blamed for a massive rise in fines handed out to drivers who are caught straying into a bus lane. 

http://blog.greenflag.com/2015/the-boom-in-bus-lane-fines-how-to-appeal-a-ticket-or-pcn/

Add to that information overload as we drive around our roads. It's all very well to 'drive aware' as they say but sometimes it really is difficult with either busy roads, a car full of screaming kids, or rushing for work - and all topped with a whole host of other distractions........ such as that mobile phone Wink  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

It's all very well to 'drive aware' as they say but sometimes it really is difficult with either busy roads, a car full of screaming kids, or rushing for work - and all topped with a whole host of other distractions........ such as that mobile phone Wink  

You mean the same excuses people use for bad driving in general? Crazy

Community Veteran

Bus Lanes: the practice of attempting to reduce traffic congestion by halving road capacity at traffic bottlenecks.

Added bonus: the ability to install revenue cameras.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I incurred a fine last month. First fine ever.

I had briefly entered the bus lane in a near empty road to pass a single car turning right.

Apparently this in out manoeuvre is ok with some councils but not with others (like mine).

I would be less annoyed if only my council would spend the money on repairing a constant pothole in my road.

Damn thumping of a bus going over it to way past midnight. Months taken to "repair" it. As I said to the road repair men, on more than one occasion, a bus goes over this every 15 minutes. They had no idea and said they can only do the repair ordered and agreed with me that it will only last a couple of weeks. Just wasted money. My wasted money.

Minivanman
Hero

'Just to lighten your day...'

Not that funny from the look of most of them @shutter - although I like the idea of those 'raised from the road' barriers in front of what looks like a level crossing. That would stop those idiots who ignore those flashing lights.