Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

63 up

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

63 up

Not sure if anyone else watched this series where they followed a group of people from childhood to Adults and interviewed them every 7 years to find out their views of life and what had happened to them since last being interviewed.

The hypothesis was that the first 7 years of your life were crucial and set the pattern for the rest of your life, give me a child for the first 7 years and I will give you the man as someone put it.

Now to the question, based on the above would you agree the above applies in your case ? Keeping in mind of course your views on life may well have changed due to experience and luck.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 63 up

I watched it and yes it was quite interesting but I don't believe (Aristotle?) as regards the "Give me the child ..." bit. This may well have applied in the previous and early part of the 20th centuries where education and opportunity were limited, if not non-existent in some cases. Now it's a very different playing field, and I think it would be a very difficult call in this day and age.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Kinda true, in my case.... When I was about 7 years old, my dad took me out to sea, on holiday, in a Yorkshire Cobble ... ( google images )  and that first experience of being "at sea" guided me... From then onwards, I wanted to join the Navy, either Royal or Merchant... I just knew I wanted to go to sea, and travel the world

( I did have BIG ambitions,...but they did not prevail ! ! ).. Lips_are_sealed

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Not really true in my case as I had a unusual upbringing and was left to my own devices, had a few fancy ideas that I might like to be a Chemist or go into the Royal military Police.....perhaps based on reading too many comics.

Like most lads in my area you went into a 5 year apprenticeship but due to circumstances beyond my control moved into another area of work that was fairly low paid and few wanted to do it, years later things changed and more wanted to do it but being first in and having passed a few exams I was able to get promoted a few times.

So nothing planned there, looking back I guess I was simply lucky, indeed throughout my life I have been fairly lucky regarding, family, friends and health.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

I’ve had a career of wonderful jobs, I applied for none of them, all were offered . Being the right person, in the right place and perhaps knowing the right people probably helped. As @gleneagles says - I’ve always thought I was very lucky, but I had to work very hard to justify the decisions to employ me.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Anonymous wrote:

I watched it and yes it was quite interesting but I don't believe (Aristotle?) as regards the "Give me the child ..." bit. This may well have applied in the previous and early part of the 20th centuries where education and opportunity were limited, if not non-existent in some cases. Now it's a very different playing field, and I think it would be a very difficult call in this day and age.

@Anonymous Yes, Aristotle and later slightly different by Ignatius of Loyola 

Give me the child for the first seven years and I will give you the man.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I notice that a number of responses are linked to work. I say that is a matter of opportunity. A lot of life is happenstance, but what Aristotle and the Jesuits were referring to surely was character.

i was heartened, how some of the silver spooners, who one would have thought to turn out awfully self centred were socially aware and active. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not a series that really grabbed my attention to be honest - if anything it sort of irritated me, but then I do recall one kid in particular had a real plummy voice so perhaps that's what turned me off.

Interesting if invalid sociological experiment for some no doubt, but like so much it was tainted by being 'made to be viewed' - if that make sense, along with a high degree of observer bias on the part of producers, intentional or otherwise.

Not exactly 'fly on the wall stuff' either which is what they would call it nowadays.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I haven't watched the latest series, but I think the guy with the plummy voice (a solicitor by then?) refused to take part at one of the later milestones.

My most enduring memory from the first series is of a posh boy (perhaps the one with the plummy accent) reeling off what his parents had planned for his future, which schools he would attend, university etc., after which one of the boys from the children's home said in his very innocent seven-year-old's voice, "What's a university?"

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Interesting. As an ex kiddie home kid m'self that's the sort of thing I'd have asked!