Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£61 million, really?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

£61 million, really?

Do we really need lottery prizes of this size?

Far better surely to spread both the money and the chances around rather than put it into one large pot - or are we just selling dreams for the many rather than reality for the few. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36929452

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: £61 million, really?

Prizes of this value are a result of human greed. With the odds being so crazy some might not think that it's worth the cost for a small prize but with silly values some people think it's worth the ticket price even though the odds of winning it are the same!

I agree with your comments regarding better sharing of the money and have a lower stake, I think it would attract a lot more people to play.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I second the comments re: spreading the prizes - but it still won't make me play. The odds are too great, and I haven't got money to throw away.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m a pensioner... and used to do the national lottery until they doubled the stake money... only ever won a tenner ... so they won more than me...  so changed over the the Health Lottery... haven`t won more than a couple of quid and a free go...! .. so have given up on both...

what amazes me is the number of pensioners at the cig counter buying £100 worth of smokes AND another £20 or £30 of scratch cards and lottery tickets...

I`m glad I don`t smoke any more... but the only enrichment in my life because of that, is that I DO feel much healthier, and don`t wake up with a hacking cough, and stink of an ashtray all the time... 

Fixes: 125

Probably more to do with increasing the profits. The higher the jackpot the more sheeple seem to buy tickets. Increase the odds and the jackpot builds up giving the companes running the lottery a lot more interest until it is finally won.

I no longer play the national lottery since they increased the number range.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

I hear you and same here, used to buy them but never do so now.

The Mrs has had a few of those premium bonds since...... 1955. Money won to date, zilch and yes, they still have our right address!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

I've never bought lottery tickets of any sort as I have better things to waste my money on.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fully agree the chances of winning are remote..........just one question,

What should I do with the 61 million ? should I put in a bid to buy Plusnet ?

Wink

Minivanman
Hero

Well apparently BT paid a bit more for it back in 2006, £67 million in fact.

Make them an offer they can't refuse? Cheesy 

Minivanman
Hero

To be honest I'd be really worried about winning that amount of money.

Gifting some to your family and making their lives worse, not better? Grandson for example goes out and buys himself a new car and wraps it around a tree.

Crikey, worrying about something that's not going to happen, especially given that I do not even buy the damned things!

Minivanman
Hero

Actually, being at the checkout and the guy in front suddenly decides they want to buy a bunch of different tickets, and I'm in a hurry!

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I keep telling the OH I will win one day, when he asks me if I have a ticket I tell him not to be silly - I'm only going to buy one the week I'm going to win. Wink

I know what I would do with £61m - at least 2/3rds would be split between the RNLI, Great Ormond St, Lincoln Cathedral, International Bomber Command Memorial, Macmillan Nurses, and Alzheimer's research, and a few more charities.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mayfly wrote:

I know what I would do with £61m - at least 2/3rds would be split between the RNLI, Great Ormond St, Lincoln Cathedral, International Bomber Command Memorial, Macmillan Nurses, and Alzheimer's research, and a few more charities.

Whos bosses and committee chums would suddenly get fabulous pay rises - all coincidental you understand.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I prefer to give to charities that DO NOT employ professional fund raisers.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Minivanman
Hero

"I know what I would do with £61m - at least 2/3rds would be split between the RNLI, Great Ormond St, Lincoln Cathedral, International Bomber Command Memorial, Macmillan Nurses, and Alzheimer's research, and a few more charities"

All very noble but some would take the view that they should be funded by the state, and Lincoln Cathedral? - the Church of England has a bigger income that MacDonalds but hey, your money your choice as is giving it to International Bomber Command which some would find rather contentious to be honest.