cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 age friendly mobiles

David_W
Rising Star

6 age friendly mobiles

I remember a topic on here a while ago asking for recommendations for mobiles which are friendly to the older generation who doesn't really care what GPRS is and couldn't give two hoots about bells and whistles.
The Register has now reviewed 6 phones which are friendly to the older generation with:
The ideal phone for gran needs to cover several bases in order to get a recommendation, ranging from ease of use to the quality of the handset speaker. Unlike normal phone reviews where the addition of every conceivable add on, feature or application is seen as a benefit, here the opposite is true. Anything that adds complexity better be there for a good reason.
Apart from matters of general ease of use there are also specific functions worth looking out for such as compliance with hearing aids and emergency functions like panic alarms and emergency dialer protocols.

Worth a look if you're in the market for a specific type of mobile!
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/05/04/grouptest_oap_phones/
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 6 age friendly mobiles

dontcha love the patronising attitude of these initiatives?  there's a 99 year old in america having a ball with her new ipad and these people think she couldn't handle an iphone?
perhaps they need to look at the other end of the age scale to aim these simple toys at.
David_W
Rising Star

It's not just features, it's accessibility, one of the mobiles has a unique feature where the accelerometer will make a note if it detects a fall, if there is no movement then it thinks "hey, a fall!" and will call the emergency numbers, quite useful for the more frail elderly people.  My late grandfather for instance was on a zimmer frame with mobility issues, having a mobile which could detect a fall would have helped him.
They also have features for hearing aids, again not something to do specifically with age (I was at school with two deaf kids) but something to look at for people who are hard of hearing so need a mobile which will work with their hearing aid.
The article does also list the iPhone as recommended for people with visual problems.
But as you say, it's horses for courses, my mother is 62 and plays the PS3 daily and has a Samsung with a slide out qwerty keyboard, but for elderly people who are, trying to be polite, not 100%?  Having mobiles tailored to specific needs can be a useful tool.
Teds31
Grafter

Yes David ,in truth you have a point ,I run classes for older ppl teaching computer skills and things such as you mention would be helpfull to the ppl who do not have technical skills at any age. Though I am only  78 yrs my oldest pupil is 93 and getting along fine ,but not every one wants to learn technology and just require aids that work without technical knowledge. Ted.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
dontcha love the patronising attitude of these initiatives? 

On the other hand I think these meet a real need which is increasingly ignored by major manufacturers in their rush to produce over-functional and complex products which a significant number of people neither want nor need.
Fixes: 125

@ David W
Was it my thread here that you are referring to?
I ended up getting my dad the Binatone Speakeasy+ from OldJim's suggested site.
To me this phone is simplicity itself. But to my 90 year old dad it is still confusing and he often gets the buttons confused for dialling and cancelling a call. Also, he often forgets to press the Speaker button when making a call so doesn't hear the answer so doesn't say anything. It can take several frustrated attempts for him to finally make a call.
Even with the three memory buttons with his home number, my mobile and my landline programmed in he still manages to press the wrong one and gets frustrated when the 'wrong' person answers.
An even simpler model with even bigger keys would be more useful for him.
Quote from: MrC
On the other hand I think these meet a real need which is increasingly ignored by major manufacturers in their rush to produce over-functional and complex products which a significant number of people neither want nor need.

Couldn't agree more!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

What was wrong with the "old-fashioned" phones with a dial and separate handset?
Can't understand why they were done away with. Sad

David_W
Rising Star

Indeed it was Mav! I saw the post on The Register and remembered there was a topic about it a while back.
One of the phones in the article is simplicity itself, it does away with numbers altogether, you just write names onto a notepad slide it in and then you have A B C D, really only useful for calling 4 pre-determined people or emergency (the SOS is pre-programmed to dial 112) it's a bit expensive but I doubt there is a less complicated mobile on the market today.  It's also the one where you can add the optional fall detection device.