cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£5m down the Drain

Community Veteran

£5m down the Drain

Prisoners being released from prison early have been paid £5m for losing their free board and lodgings!  Where will all this nonsense end? Angry
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5864597.ece
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: £5m down the Drain

on the face of it it looks nutty, but consider this:  how much does it cost per week to house a prisoner?  how much was each prisoner given when it left?  do the sums add up to an overall saving.
the choice of which prisoners to release needs an overhaul.  many prisoners never commit violent crimes.  it makes better sense to release those first.  keep the violent ones for the full length of their sentence and try some of the methods that american warden does who makes the inmates wear pink, do work and eat simple.
our prison system is of little benefit to society because it can't make up its mind if it's in the business of retribution, or rehabilitation.  a rethink is necessary here.
would prison farms work any better?  prisoners grow their own food, build their own housing, make their own tools.  any excess production gets sent to local hospitals, residential homes and anyone else deemed needy.  would prisoners learn self-respect and gain a desire to behave better if they had useful, meaningful work to do?
what is our attitude in general to people who break the law, from toking on a joint to beating shit out of a girlfriend?
who do we think it is reasonable to strongly secure and who do we think its a waste of time to imprison in the first place?
is it time to swamp these jokers in parliament with emails and tell them what we think?
Community Veteran

I think this is the guy you are talking about artificer.
http://nortygordytherudeone.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-kind-of-prison-governor.html
I not against prisoners being released early under certain circumstances.  I do object that they are compensated for the free board and lodging they were getting in prison. 
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The article says "These payments are made to prisoners who could not otherwise pay for food and accommodation, as they are not able to claim benefits while on ECL."
If the payments were not made as "compensation" they would be made as DSS benefits.
techguy
Grafter

Here's a radical idea
Why not ffrogmarch them to the job centre and make them  get a job?
Community Veteran

I think part of their release process involves trying to get them into employment.
techguy
Grafter

I agree that something should be done to ensure that they aren't on the streets or starving to dwath but I don't really think the money should be given directly to them.
Community Veteran

If they've been sentence to a prison seentence make them serve the time.  saves £5m and also keeps the streets free form further problems Wink Wink
techguy
Grafter

I agree with that artmo 100% but if you must release someone maybe it should be those convicted of offences where another human being wasn't injured.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes like not paying the TV lisens.  Let them out!
scootie
Grafter

life sencentce should mean the life of that person. as things stand a life senctence before being aloud prole hearing is not even the average life span of human in this country.
i would happly pay the extra tax if it ment prison bulidings and staff being empolyed by the goverment instead of a private company runing the show  that builds a prison for peanuts and starts falling apart before some one convicted for a speeding offence is relesed