cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

56 million

sweafe
Grafter

56 million

whats the first thing you would do/buy with that sort of money?
21 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: 56 million

Morning paper I reckon.
I suppose I'd have time to read one, on account of being able to take a couple of days off work Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would buy my old school.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A couple of Lifeboats, (fully equipped) to replace the oldest two in service, and a couple more for places that needed them
Then I would think about buying myself something.... !
Extreme0
Grafter

Buy a house, I'm Sick of Moving every 2 year because of the rents.
Set up my own Store, Gamerooms
sweafe
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight

and do what with it?
Denzil
Grafter

Run down the corridors? Spray graffiti? All the things you weren't allowed to do when you were a student Smiley
idlewis
Grafter

I would give it to charities that help vulnerable people like Children, Disabled People or organisations like National Autistic Society or MIND/Scottish Association of Mental Health as they provide help and support to people at risk of harm.
Community Veteran

I think Shutter wins the prize so far. A very worthy cause, my lifelong charity.
But it would be fun having a trip or two on the boats, they certainly very impressive.
Long ago, I was winched down onto one, and left for a while before the old Whirlwind 9 came back for me.
I was very impressed with the RNLI crews.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dalatk
whats the first thing you would do/buy with that sort of money?
A big safe
Community Veteran

Grin
My answer though would, I think, be a home as far away as possible from this one. My first answer was going to be a baby grand, but then I realised that that would be a bit pointless as there'd be nowhere to put it. So a new home first, then perhaps a baby grand.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dalatk
Quote from: Midnight

and do what with it?

Turn it in to Flats and my home.
Quote from: Denzil
Run down the corridors? Spray graffiti? All the things you weren't allowed to do when you were a student Smiley

No I could never do that to my old school.  If some one does not buy the school the bulldozes will move in.
I would help more charities that deal with Dyslexia and Cancer as well, notice I said more!
community
Grafter

It's reassuring and refreshing to read that most of you are not selfish and are thinking of the needy.
It confirms my belief that we are basically community people .
I also would use 55 million on charity
N/A

I don't do the lottery so unlikely to have the 'problem' of what to do with it.
I am not sure that I would want such a sum of money because I would feel very guilty at the thought of all those people who had contributed to it, some of whom could possibly be quite poor.
Also, I don't really need any more than I already have.
However, wouldn't mind buying a couple of properties for people that I care for.
Would also be nice to buy a piece of enclosed woodland or similar so that we would all have somewhere nice to take our dogs for a run and relax in the knowledge that they are safe.
Animal charities would be top of the list of course. Cairn Terrier Relief Fund want to buy a retirement home for elderly Cairns and are hoping to purchase a small property with a few boarding kennels to fund the running of it. I would definitely support this.
Community Veteran

yes - it does look at though people here would want to help others. I would most certainly wish to associated with such thoughts.
I wouldn't act too fast, but I would certainly give some money to some major charities stragight away,
I would want to make a real difference in some area - so would like to do some research.
But like Shutter I would probably finance a new lifeboat and new boathouse, facilities for the crews etc as an early project.
I would want my money to go into a major heath related charity, a child related charity, something like Age Concern, or perhaps buy a few homes / sheltered housing for retired folk and ensure everyone was very well looked after..
But having done that - i would want some fun too so would but a preserved steam engine and set of coaches and sub lease them to an operator, so I could go on lots of steam trips.
Oh and one last thing, i would get my helicopter license back and buy a twin engined helicopter - you guys know I'm still fascinated with them.  I'd take it to Sheffield heliport - and give a few of you a ride.
Oh and I'd buy another Saab 9.3 - the new twin turbo diesel -  that's all I'd want - glad they've been saved.

Or how about buying Abbey Road studios, EMI are selling - but I think Paul McCartney may out bid me.