cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500Mb download speed?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

500Mb download speed?

Were my eyes deceiving me?  watching BBC at 6.20 this morning, an item about rural broadband.  Didn't catch the start.  Seems a 'group' are challenging BT and laying their own fibre lines.  what amazed me was the few seconds showing mybroadband download check in operation. It looks like 500Mb plus.  damn near choked on my devilled kidneys.
Anyone else see this or were my eyes deceiving me?
jim:green Title corrected as it was annoying me mod:end
13 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: 500MB download speed?

Theoretically I believe FTTP can reach speeds of 1Gbps so 500Mbps should easily be possible.
Fixes: 47

It's costing them a lot of money but it sounds like everyone is 'mucking in'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21442348
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thats incredible! Still it's not been cheap though has it - £500,000 is still rather steep. They'd have been better off putting up their own telegraph poles to carry the fibre surely? - just put it underground around areas with trees for protection.
It raises an interesting question though, how do you set that up to the phone network though? - Just turn up at the local echange and ask them to plug it in? Install your own router at the exchange with a fibre network card? What at the other end- router and then more fibre optics to the subscribers from the 'terminal' ?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If only I could talk my neighbours round..... Undecided
Quote from: David
Theoretically I believe FTTP can reach speeds of 1Gbps so 500Mbps should easily be possible.

Isn't that the 'total download speed'. What does it become for an individual user if 50 users decide to watch HD online at the same time.
Fixes: 105

Quote from: Sprite
Thats incredible! Still it's not been cheap though has it - £500,000 is still rather steep. They'd have been better off putting up their own telegraph poles to carry the fibre surely? - just put it underground around areas with trees for protection.

I might (probably am) wrong, but I didn't think you can now have newly installed phone cables above ground.
Will Moderate For Thanks
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: journeys

Isn't that the 'total download speed'. What does it become for an individual user if 50 users decide to watch HD online at the same time.

A quick Google produced Maths! 
We will assume the fiber can transmit all visible light without any breaks in the spectrum, and that we have imaginary wide-band transmitters and receivers that could accommodate this. The visible spectrum is about 320 Terra-Hz wide. This give us a theoretical maximum data rate of 5120 Tbps. (5,120,000 Gbps or 5,120,000,000 Mbps).

So a single strand of Fibre is apparently capable of... really fast speeds, 5 petabytes?  Though that'd probably be unreasonable.  But the fibre should easily cope with 50 people connected at 1Gbps without any, what's the word, haven't seen it in a long time..... contention ratio?  Put simply, my estate is going FTTP, there are umm... 60 houses and we'll each be able to have 330Mb connections, the problem becomes the connection to the ISP and the internet, which if we were all capping out our connections may diminish the service (although I'd guess BT are using fibre in the back end which if that can cope with 5Pb then......)
Community Veteran

It raises an interesting question though, how do you set that up to the phone network though.

You don't. My sister is in a village where a WiFi mast is being put on the church. They will be using a Vonage box for the phone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 105

My sister is in a village, like Jelv's, no phone line and wi-fi into house from a mast in the village and fibre back to the exchange (which I believe is then a PN resale) speeds are about 35Mb but the latency sucks!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Re: 500Mb download speed?

I was watching the news story in the morning and the guy ran a speedtest.net test and got 900Mb download and around 500Mb upload speeds.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak

I might (probably am) wrong, but I didn't think you can now have newly installed phone cables above ground.

Two issues:
1) It's not a phone cable as such (although yes admittedly could be used to carry voip)
2) It's private land and infrastructure not public property. AFAIK, that means you can do as you wish but I may be wrong. Any BT engineers out there who know more?
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  Title corrected as it was annoying me ]

Doesn't take much does it. I think you're being nit picky.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Grin Grin Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Grin Grin Lips are sealed

@ Oldjim...should it not be OldJim ??  Wink
@  picbits...Thanks, even more amazing. I was only watching it from the corner of my eye (as it were). I thought I saw 500mB ( deliberate 'error' for oldJim  Wink ) and assumed was download.