cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 year guarantee

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

50 year guarantee

Just bought a Thermos Vacuum flask 0.47 ltr that comes with a 50 year guarantee, the claim is that it can keep liquids hot for 12 hours but there has been some feedback on Amazon that several have failed to do this after a few uses.
I guess this failure is down to the loss of vacuum, however the question is this,
Based on recent changes in the sale of goods act items must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time, if they fail in that time it is the responsibility of the shop or place you bought the goods to repair or replace it but what is a reasonable amount of time in a case like this ?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 50 year guarantee

What are the terms of the guarantee? 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if you put the flask in a dishwasher the vacuum seal pops and it will no longer work .... if you immerse it in hot water the vacuum seal will pop and it will no longer work .... if you dent the flask the vacuum seal will pop and it will no longer work
the guarantee is worthless unless you don't do any of those things and it fails, I've had a lot of flasks in the last 25 years and non of them have lasted more than 2 years, I gave up buying thermos branded stuff as you can get identical flasks for less money that last just as long.
but the steal flasks are a big improvement on the old glass lined things Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nanotm
but the steal flasks are a big improvement on the old glass lined things

Well they must definitely work out cheaper if that's how you obtain them.
nanotm
Pro

Auto correct strikes again..... Cheesy
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

if you dent the flask the vacuum seal will pop and it will no longer work
Not my experience where my flasks - from Tesco hence cheap - have had multiple severe dents through falling on the ground while out hiking
Community Veteran

Thing is I need a flask that will keep things hot for most of the day when out hiking, in particular when the tempature is around freezing.
Having tried several cheap flasks from several sources none were able to keep liquids really warm for more than a few hours, reviews on this flask are in the majority who say it can keeps liquids hot for 12 hours.
The instructions clearly state it must not be put in a dish washer along with other do not do, things.
Thermos is a well known brand but I note they are made in China so I guess it's a matter of using it to see if the claims are correct.
The Guarantee is the standard makers guarantee, no doubt they have offices in the UK so I assume it could be returned there for replacement which might not be cheap but cheaper than buying a new flask at £16.99  0.47 ltr.
Community Veteran

Dewar really want a 50 year guarantee?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

At that price I would be happy to get 2-3 years out of them and then replace with a new one.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Dewar really want a 50 year guarantee?
Well if they are offering it why not, should it last that long I would be willing to write to them and give the product 5 stars but I will be long gone by then or in the Guiness book of records as the oldest person in the country.
Smiley
@artmo,
But you have more cash than me.
Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Auto correct strikes again..... Cheesy

Along with nanot using a capital letter!!!  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, of course there is always the possibility that we are discussing a typing error and it is actually a 5 year guarantee  Wink Wink
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Nuclear Flasks come with a life-time guarantee !!!
Is that their lifetime, or yours ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_flask
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
@gleneagles, of course there is always the possibility that we are discussing a typing error and it is actually a 5 year guarantee  Wink Wink
That would be their typing error as 50 years is shown on the guarantee and mentioned by several of those reviewing the flask.
If they claim it was a typing error bearing in mind it was printed in China I doubt you could hold them to that but I am quite happy with 5 years.
Smiley
Community Veteran

It seems a good deal. Buy, buy, buy!!!