cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£50 cashback not honoured

Stephmorris

£50 cashback not honoured

I joined Plusnet in April as it offered 6 months half price broadband and £50 cashback I phoned the sales team first, checked out the offer and then phoned back to join, now we are in December and still no cash back, after speaking to one of the rudest women in customer service who said they have listened to my phone call when paying for Plusnet they didn't say anything about it on the phone so I am not getting my money back, after explaining I phoned Plusnet before I phoned back to join she said they don't record sales enquiry phone calls, bearing in mind when I first joined up plusnet 'forgot' to turn up at my address to install it, and waited another 2 weeks for installation with no compensation for the 2 weeks missed the bill was exactly the same but now no £50 cashback either when I signed within that period so how can I claim the money back, they offered £25 as a gesture of goodwill and then the woman said "we don't even have to pay you that you know! " as though she was paying me it back out of her own pocket! so I said I don't want half of my cashback I am entitled to all of it as I signed for that deal, but I am at a loss as what to do now, can anybody help me?
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: £50 cashback not honoured

Unfortunately I cannot help you but it does make me think it would be wise to record all phone calls you make with any firm so if a dispute arises you have a record of what has been said and agreed to.

This might avoid numerous disputes on who said what and what was or was not agreed to.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

But before you do that, make sure you are on the right side of the law!

The interception, recording and monitoring of telephone calls is governed by a number of different pieces of UK legislation. The main being:

• Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 ("RIPA")
  • Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000 ("LBP Regulations")
  • Data Protection Act 1998
  • Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
  • Human Rights Act 1998
Fixes: 123

As far as I am aware, as a private individual, all you need to do is make the other party aware that you are recording the call. I can't see that being an issue for any company who is probably recording it anyway.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Sorry that you haven't received the deal you expected. I've looked over your account and the offer you signed up to (from the sales call itself) wasn't a cashback offer, this was just a discount on the broadband.

To be honest, even if you had signed up for a cashback offer it's not something we'd provide 8 months later I'm afraid. We allow 60 days from activation to claim or query cashback, and as this timescale has now passed the cashback would no longer be applicable.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

nozzer wrote:

But before you do that, make sure you are on the right side of the law!

The interception, recording and monitoring of telephone calls is governed by a number of different pieces of UK legislation. The main being:

• Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 ("RIPA")
  • Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000 ("LBP Regulations")
  • Data Protection Act 1998
  • Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
  • Human Rights Act 1998

You'll probably find that all of that lot applies to businesses and other organisations that hold data on users / customers. It doesn't typically apply to private individuals who don't tend to hold massive databases full of peoples details etc.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Stephmorris

I asked the sales team at the time as another broadband service was offering pretty much the same deal I was assured it was £50 cashback and would cover the cost of installation as I found the initial £83 to set up the broadband pricey as a new customer anyway, the 6 months had passed and being a patient customer I thought it might have been honoured after the 6 months half price so if you take into account the initial £83 set up with no cashback the 6 months half price broadband is just a gimmick, I just feel betrayed and I can't even get out of the contract without paying £220! to leave, which is beyond a joke I keep chuckling to myself when I hear 'Plusnet will do you proud' Plusnet has just ripped me off, come back virgin all is forgiven!
nadger
Rising Star

My daughter signed up for phone install and adsl on 22/10 - the deal included £50 cashback.

Line was installed on 09/11

As cashback not received she phoned 02/12 and received email from a staff member saying that he'd tracked cashback.

She came here, to spend Christmas with us, on 15/12 and at that time no cashback received.

Hopefully a cheque will await her when she returns home this week.

That said the line install and adsl went smoothly.

Community Veteran

Chris wrote:

Sorry that you haven't received the deal you expected. I've looked over your account and the offer you signed up to (from the sales call itself) wasn't a cashback offer, this was just a discount on the broadband.

To be honest, even if you had signed up for a cashback offer it's not something we'd provide 8 months later I'm afraid. We allow 60 days from activation to claim or query cashback, and as this timescale has now passed the cashback would no longer be applicable.

To be fair chris, if the customer is saying they were offered deal X, hung up to think about it and then called back to take you up on it, you should HONOUR IT.

It's not "Good HONEST broadband from Yorkshire" otherwise is it.

Just reading over the notes some sales rep once recorded doesn't mean anything if they didn't bother to record them properly - we can all say "but our records say different" can't we.

Your company is frequently caught out looking dishonest about things and now you wan the poster to pay more to get out of the deal that you stiffed them on? - Seriously?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's very easy for misunderstandings to take place which lead to a lot of hassel on both sides, poor advert for the company and annoyance for the customer.

If I recall correctly after I changed from ASDL to Fibre I was sent a email which clearly showed what had been agreed, assuming this still takes place how hard would it be to add a final line to the email regarding special conditions, cash back and other agreed offers.

As both sides would have a copy of that agreement there should be no misunderstandings.

If the email contract was not what the customer thought had been agreed to then is there not some time frame in which that contract can be rejected ?

Surely it cannot be difficult for the above to take place ?

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

All these schemes are designed to minimise takeup of the rebate. The marketing team do not want everyone to get the rebate. If they wanted all the possible recipients to get the money then they could do so easily.

PS This is not just Plusnet but all organisations using rebating schemes.

Sad

Community Veteran

I personally can't understand these rebates. Why not just bring the price down instead? - it's in effect the same thing anyway.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Just reading over the notes some sales rep once recorded doesn't mean anything if they didn't bother to record them properly - we can all say "but our records say different" can't we.

Your company is frequently caught out looking dishonest about things and now you wan the poster to pay more to get out of the deal that you stiffed them on? - Seriously?

If you read my full post, I did also say that even if the offer was a cashback one, too much time has now passed to claim this. We allow 60 days, not 6 months to claim/follow up on a cashback deal as per the T&Cs of the deal.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

I did read your post Chris and found that section of it to be dishonest and frankly taking the mick out of the customer.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2