50 Years ago we walked on the Moon

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

50 Years ago we walked on the Moon

Eight Days to the Moon & Back

BBC2 Wednesday 10th July 2019

Drama documentary

It took precisely eight days, three hours, 18 minutes for Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins, the Crew of Apollo 11, to blast off from Kennedy Space Centre, fly to the moon, land on its surface, and return safely to Earth.

It seems like only yesterday, I remember it well.

Other specials on ITV, Channel 4, BBC Radio 4.

There is a pullout special reprint within this weeks Radio Times (6-12 July 2019)

Just two missions later, Apollo 13, I was a cameraman in the Apollo Studio, at the BBC.

I was so privileged to be there.

A great start to a superb career at the BBC, and TV in general...

67 REPLIES 67
Highlighted
Rising Star

Re: 50 Years ago we walked on the Moon

It was truly an amazing achievement.  Although they didn't have the advanced computers we do now, they certainly had extremely advanced minds working on the programme.

Pete
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Amazing indeed, but also frightening when we look back at the technology of the day, but comparable perhaps to those who first sailed to America, Australia and all the rest where discovery was the name of the game rather than knowing why to do with it when the got there. 

It certainly felt like a risk not worth taking at the time and a view supported by not having done a lot more since. Those ships that discoverd new lands colonised them in short order whereas the moon was just left I suppose until we knew more about it and as said, what if anything to do with it other than plant a flag and bring back some rocks.

Looking forward to watching what television has to offer over the next few days, and the next few years are certainly going to be interesting as permanent bases are at last going to be established there.   

Lets just hope China does not lay claim to the entire lot in the meantime! 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

If the moon ( Apollo ) and space program did anything it was to push pace of technology and materials. They may not have had advanced computers then but certainly had advanced and brilliant minds. Nowadays advanced technology is owned by giant corporations, but then not even the sky was the limit. I think computers are actually making people lazy and less inventive in their thinking. Don't forget voyager interplanetary space probes that were able to visit every planet in our system, all dreamed up and planned by brilliant minds with slide rules, pencil and paper, and all achieved by ' crude technology '.......

Highlighted
All Star

@wotsup  Lazy yes especially where computer modeling is concerned. Because the computer says it so then it must be right and its not questioned. They forget the old maxim 'rubish in.. rubish out'.Smiley6600Smiley6600

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, GIG0 we used to call it, Garbage in, garbage out - and how true.

As for that Apollo mission it was certainly a risky business and some appalling errors were made right from the start when three lives were lost in that capsule inferno.

Was it all about science, discovery and the moon, or was it all about getting ahead of the Russians - it was after all at the height of the Cold War. I forget the exact figures but I think that at one time NASA had something like a million people and hundreds of companies employed as well as having to invent technology they did not have.

What could possibly go wrong, and crikey what a risk they took to be first.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

50 Years ago we walked on the Moon?  Lucky you, I had to watch from the sofa.

I'm sure a documentary about the first moon-landing claimed that the on-board computer had a 9K memory and the one at Houston 28K.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Was it all about science, discovery and the moon, or was it all about getting ahead of the Russians - it was after all at the height of the Cold War. I forget the exact figures but I think that at one time NASA had something like a million people and hundreds of companies employed as well as having to invent technology they did not have.

I remember the story about NASA spending $100,000,000 developing a (ballpoint?) pen which would write in space.

The Russians just used a pencil.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

..... and the Russians just used a pencil!

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@TTman wrote:

@wotsup  Lazy yes especially where computer modeling is concerned. Because the computer says it so then it must be right and its not questioned. They forget the old maxim 'rubish in.. rubish out'.Smiley6600Smiley6600

I worked in design offices with CAD and the best quote I heard was ' CAD improves the appearance of your work' ( no more of that getting the printing neat manually - and the line weights were easy to get right) - but the end result was 'keyboard Jockeys' people who knew a lot about the computer and 'cut and paste' but sadly not much about design.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

It’s 60 years since the first rocket hit the moon.

The 10 years in between were an incredible time for those of us who were ‘boys at school’

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Wallace and Grommit got to the moon with very low tech equipment, and they had  a Grand day out....

Highlighted
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Amazing indeed, but also frightening when we look back at the technology of the day, but comparable perhaps to those who first sailed to America, Australia...

The ironic thing is that the Apollo missions performed a lot of the navigation by using the stars.  They had a sextant on board that took sights of known stars and input them into the guidance computer (which had the locations of 20-30 stars in memory).

Many films imply that the astronauts were litte more than passengers on the ride - but in actual fact they were incredibly intelligent in terms of maths, orbital mechanics, and situational awareness.

Pete
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

....and extremely brave.

Going where no man had gone before was not a guaranteed return trip.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

And if they had've got to the point of no return, it definitely wouldn't have become a case of "who are we going to eat first".  Wink