cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Gbps - When will PN offer this?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

5 Gbps - When will PN offer this?

I see Gigaclear is offering a 5 Gbps Internet service, in some areas.
I wonder when the chubby Yorkshire comedian will announce a similar service?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 5 Gbps - When will PN offer this?

It'll probably be a little while yet, and won't be symmetrical down/up, the Plusnet version will most likely be 1Mbps upload.  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

£399 a month  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

That's £9 a month more than my first 64K leased line Internet connection. My 13 y/o son [at the time] was entranced with the speed. I had to deploy physical internet connection scheduling after 10pm.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Very nice, but not very practical as it's only of use if the party at the opposite end of the connection has similar capabilities. Then throw into the mix the cost of a fibre switch remembering of course to upgrade your PC's NICs as well and that I don't think there's a single PC that could cope with that data rate.
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Mook - You are thinking too singularly. Many-to-many connectivity is often the first consumer of any increase in available bandwidth.
(B)leading edge services such as this are never intended for 'average' users in the first instance but those which require bandwidths great than typically available e.g multi-machine households, small/home businesses etc. As history keeps reminding us however, the requirements for the masses eventually catch up and what may seem excessive today becomes essential tomorrow and totally inadequate the day after.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

True, but based on this:
Gigaclear expects the service to be available to all of its customers by early 2016, costing £399 per month for the homeowner H5G package...

It's still overkill, as a 1Gbps service would easily meet the needs of your 'average' household.
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Absolutely. That is why they are saying this they expect it to be available to all households, not taken up by them. A service such is this is useless to those that need it if they cannot actually get it!