Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Economic Truths

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

5 Economic Truths

I Have copied this from todays paper as I think it's very true,
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not take from somebody else
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work,because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
Do you agree with these points, if not why not.  Wink
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 5 Economic Truths

The previous government definitely disagreed with number 3!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Can't fault any of them Smiley
However I'll lay odds that some here most definitely will Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

Very true because the legislators are the wealthy and they always protect themselves.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

I couldn't of put that better myself. Whenever you work for someone you're always spending your lifes energy to make them not only richer but also healthier since they don't have to graft and wear themselves out to the bone like the rest of us. Sounds dumb doesn't it but why does the queen have a very reserved wave? - To conserve energy (this is actually a fact they had to train her to do it).
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not take from somebody else
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Quite obvious..
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work,because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Which is what the UK is coming to anyway. Those who do work are taxed like mad, those that don't work are in such a crap position that they can't get out of it and then laziness sets in. I've always grafted in every job I've had. I've worked hard, I've gone home in agony, worked one job which was physically demanding with a crippling health problem that technically saw me qualify as disabled under the DDA but I never used it, I just carried on working and got sh** on for it by the boss. Same happened at the next place too yet all the lazy people would get the easiest time of it so when you end up out of work again you end up wondering what the point is. I'd prefer to be working but there is nothing out there and companies either want young kids or people with degrees. I'm neither so I'm screwed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
However I'll lay odds that some here most definitely will Lips are sealed

When I read that, I just knew who the next poster would be  Wink
I agree totally with the OP.
Community Veteran

Yeah well you ain't lived my life thankfully.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Gleneagles, how true, fully agree.  May I ask where they came from?
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Dr Rogers in 1984 - apparently.
Not young enough to know everything
NewStu
Grafter

The statements read as if there is a direct one to one relationship between each and are simplistic in outlook. The reality is that the many give a little each, which is then used to support societal needs. All contribute towards schools say, including those without children, and medical care when not ill etc. If we did not have this approach most people would be in a dire position when they required such support or facilities.
Could say the same for numbers 1,2 and 3 about insurance policies, my premiums are paying for someone elses claims. But it is worth it to me.
Would rather be part of a society than alone in a jungle.
NewStu
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

gleneagles, interesting thanks for posting.
Somebody emailed me the quote below, thought it quite fitting.
The world moves on while we in Europe just argue about how to spend an ever decreasing pot of (borrowed/printed) money when actually faced with the largest drop in living standards in living memory:
The spend it/welfare economy is over in Europe, but no one wants to settle the bill.

I'm increasingly concerned that this doesn't end up like it usually does in Europe when times get hard!
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: journeys
I'm increasingly concerned that this doesn't end up like it usually does in Europe when times get hard!
Having lived through the last one that's not a prospect I relish  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The people who are really going to suffer are the young unless they come from a wealthy background. Even with a good degree there is no guarantee of a job, a second degree will improve your chances providing it's in a useful subject.
Looking at Ireland, Greece & Spain an increasing number of young people are moving to other countries where their job prospects might be better, the last thing these countries need is to lose young ambitious people whilst retaining those with no ambition other than knowing where the next can of Lager or pack of fags is coming from.
I Guess we will go the same way as the prospects for the young look bleaker by the day.