cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th item free...

Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16,561
Thanks: 1,801
Fixes: 125
Registered: 06-04-2007

4th item free...

Was in Tesco shopping last night and needed to get a few last minute 'special' cards and noticed many had a sticker saying buy 3 get 4th free. I looked for any other notices informing which would be the free one and nothing was obvious. So I scanned the three cheapest making the 4th one the most expensive yet only the cheapest was marked as free.

 

I wanted to bring this up with staff as I felt I should have got the 4th one scanned free and not the cheapest Cheesy but the person I was with didn't want me to so left it but I still think I have a valid point based on the wording of the stickerWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,342
Thanks: 608
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: 4th item free...

In the world of business you can never take the word FREE at face value.

Maybe I'm cynical but I always expect a catch caveat restriction and I'm never disappointed.

Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: 4th item free...


Mav wrote:

 

I wanted to bring this up with staff as I felt I should have got the 4th one scanned free and not the cheapest Cheesy but the person I was with didn't want me to so left it but I still think I have a valid point based on the wording of the stickerWink


Careful there Mav.. you might get accused of nitpicking by another member Wink

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,773
Thanks: 1,127
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Re: 4th item free...

With 6 young grand-kids and some birthdays this month my daughter usually sorts out a list of toys from Argos when they have a buy 3 pay for 2.

I go with her and pay as requested.

She sorts the toys into groups of 3 and I pay for each group.

She does this so I get the best deal but it can get a bit confusing if some items are not currently in stock.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,586
Thanks: 206
Fixes: 14
Registered: 16-02-2009

Re: 4th item free...

It's allways been cheapest item free with these offers, donesn't matter who from.
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16,561
Thanks: 1,801
Fixes: 125
Registered: 06-04-2007

Re: 4th item free...

Agreed. But the wording is usually something like:

Buy 4 get one free*

*Cheapest item is free

But in this case it simply stated the fourth item, not the cheapest, would be free.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: 4th item free...

To be fair to you Mav, I kinda agree that you have a valid point.

Keep chasing, you never know, someone in the company might also agree and give you a goodwill gesture.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Pro
Posts: 2,837
Thanks: 225
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

Re: 4th item free...

My daughter came across an "irish type" variation at a service station, "chocolate selection: 1 box £5. 2 for £10.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,273
Thanks: 338
Fixes: 2
Registered: 05-09-2016

Re: 4th item free...

I found this offer in the food hall at one of the more 'high end' chains: £2.99 each, 2 for £6.

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,598
Thanks: 753
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: 4th item free...

7up wrote:

Careful there Mav.. you might get accused of nitpicking by another member Wink


 

No, he actually has a valid point, unlike some...

Community Veteran
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 339
Fixes: 12
Registered: 24-10-2013

Re: 4th item free...


Mav wrote:

Was in Tesco shopping last night and needed to get a few last minute 'special' cards and noticed many had a sticker saying buy 3 get 4th free. I looked for any other notices informing which would be the free one and nothing was obvious. So I scanned the three cheapest making the 4th one the most expensive yet only the cheapest was marked as free.

 

I wanted to bring this up with staff as I felt I should have got the 4th one scanned free and not the cheapest Cheesy but the person I was with didn't want me to so left it but I still think I have a valid point based on the wording of the stickerWink


 

it's really impossible to comment unless a photo of the said offer is shown for us to see.
the cheapest option being free is always included in the small print.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 77
Fixes: 1
Registered: 17-10-2007

Re: 4th item free...

Ocado has a twist on the cheapest items being "free".  I have found that if you buy more than one group of offered items that have different prices then the discount is not as expected. Say a "Buy 4 Get The Cheapest 2 Free" offer includes two items normally priced at 90p and £1 and you buy 4 of each. I expect customers to be charged 2 @ £1 + 2 @ 90p. Instead the offer is treated as if it is "Buy 8 Get The Cheapest 4 Free"  and customers are charged 4 @ £1. I have read that this "feature" also applies to Waitrose.