cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g Is Officially On The Way...........................

PembsPanther
Grafter

4g Is Officially On The Way...........................

OFCOM finally allowing  the UK to enter the 21st century, they have approved Everything Everywhere's application to launch the service on its existing 1800 MHz spectrum. Smiley
I do not know what you all think but I have been saying for some time this will mark the beginning of the end for BT (sorry PN Sad ) what do you all think?
http://news.sky.com/story/975163/everything-everywhere-gets-ofcom-ok-for-4g
http://everythingeverywhere.com/2012/08/21/ofcom-announces-its-approval-of-everything-everywheres-re...

40 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: 4g Is Officially On The Way...........................

and why do you believe it would be more reliable than 3G? Mobile broadband will never replace fixed lines as there will always be a ceiling on the traffic it can handle.
PembsPanther
Grafter

I would not be so sure of that, it has been running very successfully in the States for a number of months now, BT shot themselves in the foot years ago, lying and insisting they could only provide broadband if ytou had a phone line, a phone line that nobody who has broadband actually needs, all that line rental they have stolen and blackmailed out of customer for the last how may years?? I cannot wait to jump up and down on their grave Smiley
4g is the future, you will see with all our gadgets and gizmos fluid like connection indoors and out is essential, it will not take users long to realise they can have a much faster (subject to a few factors obviously) and stable connection from their tethered mobile phone than what they are currently getting from BT and co. PN for us have been brilliant and I have my fingers crossed they will find a way of moving with the times but again BT has let them down, the only way a traditional broadband connection is going to be able to compete with 4g is via fibre, remind me again what percentage of the country had access to any kind of fibre? Ofcom are insisting 99% country coverage for 4g.....................
It is the future, you will see this thread will be good to re visit in a couple of years, that is why I am trying to get everyone's opinion and predictions now Smiley
itsme
Grafter

and what %age cover have we for 3G? I live in a medium size town and can get fibre via BT and VirginMedia but not 3G or Edge.
GrahamC
Grafter

Well, good news indeed.....
...I may finally be able to get a signal for my mobile.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
and what %age cover have we for 3G? I live in a medium size town and can get fibre via BT and VirginMedia but not 3G or Edge.

Quote from: GrahamC
Well, good news indeed.....

Well if you were to believe the coverage maps:
http://www.compare3gmobilebroadband.co.uk/3g-coverage-uk.htm
I would say that at least 1 of the networks has any part of the UK covered, I know the "fact" of the matter is this is not true however 4g is going to be eventually run on the old analogue TV spectrum, so in theory if you could pick up old style TV signal then you should be good to go with 4g.
Its popularity will depend on a number of things obviously, most important price I suspect at the beginning it will be quite expensive but as with all technology as time goes by it will become cheaper, also Everything Everywhere is basically T Mobile and Orange combined, both of these operators love to use the word unlimited then attach some ridiculous fair use nonsense policy on the back end, if this is the case with 4g then this too will hod its popularity back.
The technology is sound and being connected all the time no matter where you are is the future...............
It needs to be cheap as chips and unlimited then I really do think BT's days will be seriously numbered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Whatever % coverage there is, not all of that coverage will be full signal (or even medium signal), they will claim 'coverage' as long as there's enough signal to get a connection - even if it's only enough for a slow connection.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PembsPanther

It needs to be cheap as chips and unlimited then I really do think BT's days will be seriously numbered.

If BT days are numbered than the cost of mobile investment will increase as most of the traffic for calls and broadband use BT infrastructure. In additional to the need to build new masts when the BT buildings are sold for housings.
Quote from: w23
Whatever % coverage there is, not all of that coverage will be full signal (or even medium signal), they will claim 'coverage' as long as there's enough signal to get a connection - even if it's only enough for a slow connection.

I'm only 1 mile from the exchange where the masts are and I can't get a 3G signal, if I need one I have to walk a few hundred yards.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: w23

Yes I agree, 3g coverage has been less than complete for a long time.
I live in the middle of nowhere is South Wales and have always been lucky with 3g I get full signal in my house and data via HSDPA, I did for a number of months run the whole house 5 users in all, all internet activity via my tethered mobile phone, it worked very well indeed the only draw back was capped allowance but that was only between 4pm and midnight after I had gone over my so called "unlimited" allowance of 1gb!
Researching some of the American providers of 4g mainly t mobile and sprint which is basically t mobile in disguise the new con seems to be unlimited internet, then in small print somewhere near the bottom the first x Gb via 4g, this will kill it for me initially though I am sure this will change as the other operators come online next year.
Cheap as chips and unlimited it really is not a complex business model is it............
PembsPanther
Grafter

If BT days are numbered than the cost of mobile investment will increase as most of the traffic for calls and broadband use BT infrastructure. In additional to the need to build new masts when the BT buildings are sold for housings.

I cannot comment on that, this is past my own knowledge, I did not realise the mobile providers were reliant upon BT to provide their service in any way shape or form, if this is the case then who knows, maybe a more accurate comment would be the death of the landline leaving BT as some kind of provider of something to the mobile operatorsHuh
Everything Everywhere have 1.5 billion GBP sat aside that has been waiting for the 4g rollout so maybe some of these issues will soon be addressed?Huh
What do BT provide for the mobile networks?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PembsPanther
BT shot themselves in the foot years ago, lying and insisting they could only provide broadband if ytou had a phone line, a phone line that nobody who has broadband actually needs, all that line rental they have stolen and blackmailed out of customer for the last how may years?? I cannot wait to jump up and down on their grave Smiley

Steady on chap, while it must be said I hate BT myself I'm usually sharp enough to spot an out right lie - especially one such as only getting BB on a landline. In fairness to BT I've never seen them make that claim. What they do however claim is that their BT router wifi thing uses some ultra special signal on the phone line (yeah right) that makes its wifi much more reliable (again, yeah right) and that is supposed to be why BT broadband is superior to other ISPs. The reality is that the DSL signal is still the same on the phone line and unless they're disobeying strict rules on radio transmissions (along with the laptop, desktop computer and wifi card manufacturers) then their wifi routers are no better either. THAT is a direct lie on their BT adverts and always has been.
Indirectly though as someone else has pointed out, the mobile networks are still linked together by BT in various places. They're simply glorified wifi hotspots with a stronger signal - thats the basics of it. They act as Access Points to the larger network of wires and fibres.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PembsPanther
Grafter

I meant from a provisioning point of view ie ringing them up and telling them you want to have bb without the added cost of a landline for them to tell you "sorry sir no can do, we can only provide bb if you have an active phone line" which is and always has been a pile of *****!
"but MR BT man I do not want a phone line I have no need for one, se I am going to have Skype or other voip service with an actual phone number for people to call me on"
"nope sorry mere mortal Mr BT puter say NO WAY"
Sorry all tongue in cheek obviously Smiley
This has always been my biggest gripe with them, from a "technical" point of view they could easily provide bb without the need of having a costly active land line but why would they? When they have single handed cornered the whole market (apart from Vrigin of course) in the UK, told blatant lies all these years and completely got away with it!
How much do you think they have clawed in cash wise over the years with this no bb without a land line rubbish? I shudder to think, it would not be so bad if they then took all of this stolen, blackmailed cash and re-invested it into the network so that the whole country is not 10 years behind other "great" countries in the world, no what did BT do with all this stolen money?Huh
Genuine question, I have no idea really I don't.
They deserve everything that is coming to them roll on 4g I cannot wait personally Smiley
jim:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Basically if you go back a few years there were two costs associated with broadband.
The first was the cost of supplying and maintaining the physical line - basically the line rental - All phone calls were charged as there was no evening and weekends included in the base price
The second was the cost of providing the backhaul from the exchange and the equipment in the exchange.
So yes, in theory you could have broadband without an operating phone line but you would still have been liable for the line rental as well as the broadband cost.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: GrahamC

Same here, office / home  nil 2G coverage, not much chance of 3G, fibre sometime in the 2020's according to BT.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Although in essence I agree with you on the otherhand what exactly are they supplying? The line is already there from my house direct to the exchange so there is nothing really to supply apart from someone somewhere typing a few commands on a computer and maybe a flick of a switch or 2 in the exchange?
Maintenance? £13 a month for maintaining a line they never do anything to? What maintenance?
The ONLY reason they got away with it is because they have a monopoly, no serious competition never have had that is why for years they have only ever supplied a second rate service, crikey you only have to look around these forums to see how good Open Reach are in reality.....................yes yes separate company but still essentially BT!
It has been a cash cow for years now, line rental has been extorted out of every single bb customer who had no need what so ever for an active land line, BT lnew from the beginning what would happen so they covered their back by telling blatant lies.
ahhhhhhhhh bit of a rant apologies for that Wink