cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G

Fixes: 47

4G

I have just done a speed test on my 4G enabled phone and it surprised me...pleasantly so.
The bottom result on the screenshot was done with WiFi enabled.
The top 2 results were done over 4G with a signal strength of 1 bar -113dBm
Reading a couple of articles suggests that an increase in signal strength received will not equate to a higher data speed.
Until I can find an area with better signal strength I won't be able to test the theory.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
6 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: 4G

Highest result I've seen on my 4G phone so far via the Three mobile network was 65Mbps.
I was standing within 100 metres of the nearest tower at the time  Grin

I'm on EE and the whole of my area is poorly covered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Proper, full-speed LTE should make even the fastest FTTC look as fast as a constipated snail, but a lot of the 4G available is called that as it's just a smidge faster than HSPA+ (the fastest form of "3G"), it's the LTE that does the business... Smiley
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Strat
I'm on EE and the whole of my area is poorly covered.
According to EE's Coverage Checker we're a few hundred yards from 4G to the north and south, around a mile to the east and nothing to the west.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

According to EE's Coverage Checker we're in a solid 4G area extending for miles in all directions but I still struggle to get more than 1 bar.
Fixes: 125

I remember watching QI a couple of years ago in which it was said that the number of bars showing signal strength is almost meaningless as there is no standardisation between handset makers. More info here.
Some phones estimate signal quality when idle, only measuring it properly when you try to call, which is misleading

The above would go some way in explaining why when you are showing 1 or 2 bars they disappear when you try to call and you cannot get connected. Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still