cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G interference on Freeview.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

4G interference on Freeview.

See map in the link which details how many, and which, local Freeview transmitters will be carrying 4G, with the potential to overload the Freeview signal if you're nearby.
http://www.ukfree.tv/dttvs4g800map.php
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 4G interference on Freeview.

Is it just me that thinks we've been sold a pup with freeview?
Ignoring the prospect of more up and coming problems the quality of the picture just isn't as good as the old terrestrial signal used to be. When I used to watch both on my old TV the very best picture was the old signal. A DVD came close but not as good. By its very nature the freeview signal is at its very best not quite DVD quality.
Even that drops depending on the channel and the program being shown.
With the 4G problem now on the horizon it's clear this was nothing more than a money making exercise with the viewers as also rans.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

For me Freeview aka Digital made a vast improvement as on analogue I always had massive ghosting
Community Veteran

I'm very happy with Freeview. No complaints.
Razer
Grafter

As I understand it, the quality of digital depends upon how much data they transmit for the image. Off the top of my head I recall it used to be the case that, for example, UK History, was broadcast at a lower quality than, say BBC1. So it is variable. Digital, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.
nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that I don't regret making Freesat our main provider with Freeview only used for recording - TV does have Freeview HD tuner but it's never used.
As now have Plusnet Unlimited I've stopped recording BBC and use iPlayer which, with exception of last 2 days, has been faultless.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Is it just me that thinks we've been sold a pup with freeview?
Ignoring the prospect of more up and coming problems the quality of the picture just isn't as good as the old terrestrial signal used to be. When I used to watch both on my old TV the very best picture was the old signal. A DVD came close but not as good. By its very nature the freeview signal is at its very best not quite DVD quality.

I'm in two minds about it having lived in many places with a bad analogue signal. In those a TV signal was something I could only dream of. Indoor aerials were crap along with signal amplifiers and I frequently had my viewing of a program I really wanted to watch disturbed.
When we first got digital it was ok.. but we couldn't get all of the channels and some would go blotchy which was annoying. Since we've had freeview turned on in our area we've had a massive improvement. That said however, we're suffering with "goggle eyes" where the persons face doesn't quie move in tune withe the head movements. I'm certain its the TV (Panasonic carp) but since Comet didn't want to know and they've since gone bust (good, I'm glad) there isn't much we can do about it.
I do however think that we've been sold down the river on the freeview thing a few too many times. Most of it is shopping or gambling channels and we're always being told we'll need to retune because someone somewhere didn't get something right or they need to sell off more airwaves for someone somewhere to make more money from that is far more important. It annoys me a lot but on the grand scale of things I have other more pressing issues..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
csogilvie
Grafter

Two of us in the house have blackberry phones and they both cause interference on our Freeview signal. We do have Freesat, but it's a cheap box which doesn't seem to have a decent EPG or anything on it ... so we never use it Sad
DaveyH
Pro

DTT ('Freeview)  was/is nothing more than a money making scheme from a previous government, and as a result is a bandwidth deprived joke with poor coverage.
The House of Lords are now suggesting that DTT should be scrapped altogether, and move completely to IPTV broadcast/delivery.
I don't use it, and would happily see the back off it, at least it may stop the BBC hobbling other platforms because of platform neutrality (the removal of all but one of the Red Button streams on satellite and cable for example)
pengbo
Grafter

Quote from: DaveyH
The House of Lords are now suggesting that DTT should be scrapped altogether, and move completely to IPTV broadcast/delivery

Grin one wonders which TV manufaturers need a bump in sales because as sure as he made little apples there would need to be new tellys needed  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
The House of Lords are now suggesting that DTT should be scrapped altogether, and move completely to IPTV broadcast/delivery.

So what do those of us with DTT TVs do then? We're effectively left with NOTHING to watch for our licence fee right? This is a joke!
If this happens, we won't be replacing our TV / equipment with anything else. The BBC can go stuff itself up its own .. transmitter  Crazy
Razer
Grafter

You could always give up watching television completely! No upgrades needed, no new boxes to buy. Problem solved.
Community Veteran

I think I just made that point Razor..
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: pengbo

Grin one wonders which TV manufaturers need a bump in sales because as sure as he made little apples there would need to be new tellys needed  Angry

Not necessarily.
There are Freesat  IDTVs and plenty of people don't/rarely use their DTT tuners on TVs anyway as they use PVRs.
Quote from: Sprite

So what do those of us with DTT TVs do then? We're effectively left with NOTHING to watch for our licence fee right? This is a joke!

You wouldn't be left with nothing, you'd be left with the choice of satellite or IPTV (though admittedly those in poor dtt reception area may well also have poor b/band) and cable if its available.
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: cso
We do have Freesat, but it's a cheap box which doesn't seem to have a decent EPG or anything on it ... so we never use it Sad

Being pedantic but that isn't a Freesat box, its a generic/FTA receiver.
All Freesat is essentially, is a platform that provides EPG data services for FTA/PSB broadcasters who pay for inclusion on their EPG.
If it were an official/licensed Freesat  box you would have a full EPG and probably get more use out of it