Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

48 Million affected in one power cut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

48 Million affected in one power cut!

This story is on the BBC new site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-48652686

And with Argentina going to the Polls today, is it just circumstance or is this state intervention?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 48 Million affected in one power cut!

That's very interesting  

When I was working in the Electricity Supply Industry before I retired  I used to go to meetings about the strategy for a Black Start very interesting and something quite a few people have never thought about.

Lets hope they have something in place ready for a Black Start.

Brian A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep there'll be a huge demand put on the grid when the power's resumed.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Anonymous  Too right. I worked in the electricity industry and have never forgotten the morning after a certain M Fish said there wasn't a hurricane a coming. It was total chaos. No power, trees down. Not just for a day or two. Some were off weeks.

Hope someone has thought about how much we all rely on electricity now. Electronic payments just being one. No power, no terminals Smiley Does that mean free hand outs? Problem I've found over the years is disaster management tends to be locked away...... And usually, joe public is frequently totally unaware of it.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@idonno  And busineses are trying to do away with cash!!Crazy3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I remember it well October 1987 before the Regional Electricity Boards were privatised

Teams were sent to the worse affected areas to assist and were made very welcome I was involved in it

One problem was that the PMRs ( private mobile radios ) only worked in their own area most had three or four channels set to local frequencies  before the mobile phone days so teams were split with locals so to be able communicate with the local HV control room

Brian A

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Just to add to my previous post a few years ago I went out for a meal at the end f the meal they told me the card reader was not working (bank fault) so could I pay cash. told them I did not have enough. They then told me that there was a working cash machine about a half mile away could I go there and get cash. I refused and offered a cheque. They said they didnt take cheques so I told them if they wanted to be paid then they had better. They took a cheque. So if there was no cash or cheques what would they have done??Roll_eyes

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

That seems another example of rigid stupidity. After all, it was their equipment not working, and I don't suppose anyone had given a dispensation for emergencies; no foresight by the boss. Did the failure  happen before you @TTman  were received there? Then you should not have been put in an embarrassing situation.

Anyways, I don't know what they could have done, as you had not refused to pay, so my guess is that any action available to them would be civil.

I don't believe it has been changed, but I'm not sure that many are aware that a cheque does not have to be written on paper with all those funny MICR digits, or even paper. I know of one to the revenue written on a door. I had to be presented specially. Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Luzern  I believe if I remember it was found out during but we were not told until we had finished our meal. I would have paid even by bank transfer when I got home was not looking for owt for nowt. So as I say they would have got paid one way or anotherSmiley

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep there'll be a huge demand put on the grid when the power's resumed.

And that's why London Underground trains don't stop running for the two-minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday or on 11/11.  The system wouldn't be able to cope when all the trains suddenly demanded full power.

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Luzern wrote:

I don't believe it has been changed, but I'm not sure that many are aware that a cheque does not have to be written on paper with all those funny MICR digits, or even paper. I know of one to the revenue written on a door. I had to be presented specially. Funny

Steve Parrish the ex motorcycle & truck racer is famous for also being a practical joker that has presented cheques written on many odd things over the years.