cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D TV

Community Veteran

3D TV

Did anyone  see the 3D TV experiment on C4 last night?  It was quite good.  There's more programmes in 3D tonight and again on Friday and Saturday including a full length movie, Friday 13th part 3 on Friday.  The 3D progs start at 9pm and you'll need special glasses to view which you can get free from Sainsbury's.
Sony is to introduce a 3D TV next year.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: 3D TV

Not new..... I remember when I was a kid, we had them cardboard glasses to watch 3d  (sorry Three Dimensional)  tv. and I am 65 now !... Roll eyes
I must say, I was quite impressed with it way back then. ! Cheesy
Community Veteran

This time it's more than a gimmick I think.  As I said earlier some manufacturers are producing dedicated TVs that can be watched without glasses but some of the TV channels are doing what C4 is doing this week and broadcasting programmes using glasses.
There are many movies also being made in 3D.  Part of the appeal is the extra revenue that can be generated from them.
Community Veteran

Presumably the manufactured tv will have some kind of lens that can be changed, either physically, or electronically , to enable it to be used for "ordinary" programmes/films?
David_W
Rising Star

I guess its a good idea but where does it stop?  Lets face it, we went from 1 channel with 2 types of streams to 1 channel with 1 stream (marconi I think?) to two channels, then added colour and eventually more channels, but the TV itself really only changed when we switched to colour back in the 60's?  Recentlyish we changed it again to HD which is umm, recent and a lot of people would have invested a few hundred (or thousand) on a nice HD ready TV to plug freesat/sky hd into but its too soon to that switch over to switch again to a HD 3D technology.
Sometimes I think its a good idea to let technology settle down, people are switching from analogue to digital now, as well as HD TV's, asking them to splash out again on new technology, a new Sky 3D box (with £10 per month sub), especially in the current financial market (where only, ironically, bankers are rolling in money again) may cause the 3D tech to fall flat.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Presumably the manufactured tv will have some kind of lens that can be changed, either physically, or electronically , to enable it to be used for "ordinary" programmes/films?

I read a bit on this when I was in the US earlier.  It appears that the sets will detect the signal and automatically switch to 3D/2D as required.  it will be interesting to see this once it is available. 
Community Veteran

Here's an interesting site on 3D TV:
http://www.3dtvreviews.co.uk/
Community Veteran

Well that was interesting.... Phillips 3D tv factory shut down because of the recession, but plan to re-open it when things improve.... cost of a phillips 3D tv indicated at around £10K !!!  Shocked
meanwhile LG are producing something in Korea, and it is about £250 more than a normal tv... ! Smiley
If you want to produce your own 3D stuff on webcam it won`t cost you much for the  webcam Huh
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001NXDGFY?ie=UTF8&tag=3dtvre-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=...; Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Fixes: 124

Never yet seen the appeal of 3D TV.
I remember 3D in the cinema back in 70's and 80's and 3D TV when a lot younger.
I never felt more immersed into program, film, whatever.
And let's face it - more of the carp we already get but now in 3D  Roll eyes
My personal take on this is that more and more TV/film producers/directors will want to concentrate on the 3D effect with less emphasis put on the content/acting - rmember jaws 3D?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

In tonight's programme what came over very well was sport and documentary.  3D isn't new as you say.  A lot of what they concentrated on was a 3D documentary made of the Queen shortly after she was crowned back in the 50's.
Of coarse the TV manufacturers will push the new technology as it will mean extra sales.  I assume this will bring prices down as it did recently with HD.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We went to see a film a while back in 3D. Neither of us wanted to do it again as both of us had painful eyes after Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Euge
Grafter

For future 3D TV you just need a telly that outputs at 200Hz, they split 100Hz to alternate with the aid of glasses still. It's just a more advanced version of these annoying two colour glasses that make my eyes go funny.
I have heard that someone people feel a bit queezy(sp?) watching it though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I wouldn't say queezy but my eyes were rather painful. Clearly been strained!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I find that the blue filter lets hardly any image through, compared to the light other one, not yet looked at the program, just an advert, lots on Friday, Sat and Sunday, one live of JLS
MUSIC: JLS in 3D
On: Channel 4 (4)   
Date: Sunday 22nd November 2009 Time: 11:55 to 12:10 (15 minutes long)
JLS are filmed performing their hits in 3D as part of Channel 4's 3D week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Euge
Grafter

JLS are bad enough in my 2D airspace let alone invading my room with 3D musical performances