cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D TV's and Blu-Rays are they a con

itsme
Grafter

3D TV's and Blu-Rays are they a con

For some months I've been trying to find out what is the difference between a standard TV and a 3D TV screen. I appreciate that they can be a difference with the tuner and an active 3D TV. But if you are using passive glasses with a 3D Blue-Ray what is the difference?
As I have a 3D Blu-Ray player someone has lent me a 3D DVD with throw away glasses. Watching the DVD the picture is slightly out of focus but with glasses the picture is pulled into focus and a 3D affect is experienced. What I don't know is whether the 3D experienced is reduced watching on a non 3D TV.
I then played the same DVD on a standard Blu-Ray which is attached to a different TV and it played with no problem and again a 3D affect was experienced.
So is the need for 3D equipment a con?
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: 3D TV's and Blu-Rays are they a con

I have Final Destination in 3D for playback on a 2D TV with the supplied glasses.
After about 10 minutes I changed to the 2D disc as I found the 3D unimpressive and uncomfortable with the glasses.
I have watched 3D films on a full 3D home set up but wasn't sufficiently impressed to buy my own.
At the cinema the experience is different and better and I find I forget I have glasses on after a little while.
Home 3D has some way to go yet in my opinion.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

The person that lent me the Blu-Ray was very disappointed at first when he received his new 3D TV but was much happier with it when he viewed 3D movies in complete darkness.
Fixes: 125

So far I have found all 3D films I have seen (even those where I have only watched the 2D version) to be lacking in substance and/or acting. I am talking both recent and those from 70's & 80's.
It seems, to me, that the more emphasis the film-makers put into these gimicks the less I enjoy movie
I can't see the point of 3D with objects just seemingly coming out of a 2D picture. Now, if they were to invent a holo-deck...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Mark Kermode is fairly vocal on this, e.g.
18 months ago: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/11/3d-avatar-hollywood
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
the more emphasis............................put into these gimicks

Yes it is a con and I think the same could be said for touch screen and smart phones.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Could just about manage to watch a single film in 3D but any more than that leaves me with a headache.
Also read that a number of older films are being released in 3D but the standard is not the same as those shot in original 3D.
Looking at the rapid price drop in 3D TVs (Plus less being sold due to the recession) and I guess they may go the same way as a number of other ' Technical Products' that failed to meet market expectations.
David_W
Rising Star

Not sure about TV but for gaming 3D really does add another dimension.  A game I played (FFXIV) looks great in 2D, turn on 3D though (Nvidia 3D vision specs + 120Hz LCD monitor) and the visuals turn from great to stunning, you actually feel you can reach out and grab a falling sakura blossom that's floating down the screen, it really is amazing.  There are also short clips on Youtube that can be watched with 3D vision and they do look good.  Games though don't have to be made in 3D to work properly (though it does help), 3D vision splits the picture and sends one of the images to the left eye at 60Hz and the other picture to the right eye at 60Hz, and some games don't work well with it either, but when it does work, it works well.
Then you get to the problem of if you can actually watch 3D "safely", there is a short diagnostic programme you're supposed to run on setup which displays an image in 3D, personally I can barely see it so I'm supposed to not use the specs (although I can see in 3D!), then there was the problem of setting the umm, thingy, how far apart the images are, if you're watching a game in 3D and then adjust the thingy, it can be quite uncomfortable, if not slightly painful.  Obviously I can't wait for Skyrim to come out and play that in 3D.
Community Veteran

Is it a sure thing that everyone will "see" the 3D?
I remember having an eye test quite a while back and they used a sort of computery 3D monitor instead of the usual test. While I could see everything clearly I just didn't get the distance thing. I just looked at it and saw it for what it was, just an illusion.
I was told there must be something wrong with my eyes but I had a "proper" eye test a few weeks later and explained all this to the optician. After a thorough testing I was told my eyes were fine.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a small 3D camera that take still and video pictures, and shows them on an integral screen, on my tests about 50% of women could not see the 3D but most men could
I think that the integral viewer is two screens one behind the other, so it is not colour blindness that would affect you if  you had to use the coloured glasses

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3d-digital-video-camcorder-with-swivel-3d-playback-screen-511627
pierre_pierre
Grafter

below isa stero result from the above camera, TeaTime at Tiptree Jam factory
the LH image, Stereo pair need red/cyon glasses, the RH image
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
Is it a sure thing that everyone will "see" the 3D?

3D doesn't work for me, I have a lazy eye so i am only processing 3D images with the 1 eye which doesn't work. http://www.vision3d.com/whycant.html