Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D TV is dead.... Official ! !

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: 3D TV is dead.... Official ! !

@RobPN

Thumbs_Up Glad you cracked it! So did changing the lead to the correct input give you ARC as intended or do you still need a newer cable? I think HDMI v.1.4 was the first version to include that. I bought an Amazon Basics one for around £4 and it worked fine.

'ID TEN T' indeed.., that's a new one on me.

It's good to know you're not one of those people who wastes money on expensive cables, I think they like to call themselves audiophiles. I was stupid enough to believe the hype many years ago and when I could eventually afford to buy some really expensive end of reel off-cuts at a knock down price I couldn't hear any difference. 

BTW, if you're in need of any good low cost speaker cable yourself at any point I can recommend this which is currently selling on Amazon @ £20 per/50 Meters

50m Quality 2 x 1.5mm 15 Amp Loud Speaker Cable - Multi-Strand 260 (2x 130 Strand)

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@MKSlinky wrote:

@RobPN

Thumbs_Up Glad you cracked it! So did changing the lead to the correct input give you ARC as intended or do you still need a newer cable? I think HDMI v.1.4 was the first version to include that. I bought an Amazon Basics one for around £4 and it worked fine.

Yes, it worked with the existing cable once I'd plugged into HDMI-4.  ISTR my HDMI cable is also an Amazon Basics one, it'll be interesting to see whether it will do 4K when the time comes.

Regarding speaker cable, in the past I've bought it based on thickness of the copper at reasonable prices rather than go for the £1000 per metre Audiophile stuff Smiley

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

I've bought speaker cable before which was advertised as pure copper cores which turned out to be copper coated steel.

It was sent back for a refund.

I now check carefully.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Strat

Yes there some dodgy cables about, I always buy OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) cable but I had some 20 years ago that tarnished and went black inside the clear outer sheathing so clearly it wasn't OFC.

@RobPN

So long as your Amazon HDMI v.1.4 cable is rated 'High Speed' or 'High Speed with Ethernet' you should be good for 4K.

I just double checked that on the HDMI.org website I linked to yesterday, here's what is says....

High Speed HDMI Cable
The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.

As was the case previously HDMI cables were generally defined by their specific version number. However this is no longer the case. HDMI cables must now be labelled by cable type, i.e. 

• Standard HDMI Cable
  • Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
  • Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
  • High Speed HDMI Cable
  • High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
  • Premium High Speed HDMI Cable and Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

For a full explanation of each refer to the above link