Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D TV is dead.... Official ! !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 3D TV is dead.... Official ! !

Being only 31 years old, I never experienced Betamax until I got my SL-F1UB kit somewhere around 2005/2006, which came with a load of tapes that someone had recorded off the air, and the quality of the recordings was incredible compared to anything recorded from VHS at about the same time, one thing I recall watching back was a Benny Hill episode, so crisp and clear, it almost seemed like it was just broadcast, the only thing that broke the illusion was the home-editing of pausing before the ad breaks and resuming when the show came back on, but that aside, I've never had VHS recordings as good as those, Beta was superior, but, it was just too expensive... Smiley

The only trouble is, the TT-F1UB (the Tuner-Timer unit) has something wrong with its power supply, probably old capacitors, which stops it powering up and staying powered up, so need to sort that out, after all, the entire kit is becoming a valuable antique as I have the VCR, the TT unit, the camera, the battery charger, some batteries (pooched, but original), and a craptonne of Betamax L750 tapes... Grin

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Yeah I know what you mean about valuable antiques, there seems to be quite a few of those on here Shocked

I wish I could have experienced Betamax for myself now, though if TV programmes were once recorded that way perhaps I have. 

I splashed out on a really expensive Panasonic editing machine when I bought my second VCR which had it's own jog shuttle dial for frame by frame editing, it was great for removing adverts seamlessly. I still have that little beauty and it still works. No doubt that will be a valuable collectable too one day.

For it's time it was leaps ahead of the competition and so it should've been for it's hefty price tag.

Features included: Nicam Stereo - Programmable Bar Code Reader - SVHS and much more besides

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Highlighted
Community Veteran

My dad had a similar, but later model, Panasonic VHS machine with that set of features, as he used to be in the video editing scene back in the day (mostly weddings), but it just ended up consolidated to being under the TV used just for recording TV & watching pre-recorded tapes...

I actually still own three VHS recorders, a modern Philips thing (which was in the garden, and still works!!), an Aiwa which belonged to my late brother, it's a wreck but, it's the sentimentality that makes me hold onto it, and a portable kit similar to the Sony SL-F1UB, but with an identity crisis (doesn't know if it's JVC, Nordmende or Ferguson!), and can't play back properly and I can't be bothered to fix it, but will probably have some value to someone somewhere, sometime, maybe, or maybe not... Grin

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

LOL..., that's some serious TV addiction if you had a video recorder in the garden!

I dare say many of us still own one or two obsolete players gathering dust somewhere. Like you I hate to throw things away especially where there's an emotional attachment. I do have a much newer Sony VHS too, I bought that just 12 months before VHS was finally retired.

Quite often I see these sort of things on Freecycle, perhaps you have one in your area? I got my laptop from there and after rebuilding it I'm extremely happy to have gotten it for nothing. Maybe you could donate one of your old video recorders to freecycle? You could always ask if anyone has the battery pack for your Sony SL-F1UB, you never know!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@MKSlinky wrote:

LOL..., that's some serious TV addiction if you had a video recorder in the garden!

Nah, it was formerly my uncle's landlord's, they'd moved out of nextdoor and instead of taking stuff to the dump when they upped sticks, they just dumped it all in the garden (including a petrol mower, lots of lego (most of which is pretty much part of the earth now!!), the VHS recorder, a bunch of printers, a boxed copy of the original Grand Theft Auto, and a load of furniture), picked through a lot of it myself cos I'm like that and saved a few things... Smiley

As for freecycle, there is one, but most of it is filled with those beggars who tell you a tale about how woeful life has been and how desperate they are for your offerings, then never show up, so I gave up with it...

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Ah now I see, hmm such a quandary!

Now if you do want to get rid of that pile of rubbish there's bound to be someone on freecycle who could take it. 

I know what you mean about begging stories but isn't that how it's meant to work? I usually choose someone with the most plausible story to receive my goodies. Like you say though very often people don't bother to collect which makes me really mad. Still it's a good way to save yourself a trip to the community dump when it does work.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Oh the rubbish is long gone now, it was back in 2013 when they cleared out just as I moved into this house (and the uncle moved into said emptied house a year or so later), and where it was is all grown over with grass and back-from-the-dead shrubbery (cos they were hacked to the stumps and presumed dead 'til I started tidying the garden up and fond they were far from it), the mower went to a local copshop for their gardening & the VHS recorder's doing duty as a TV stand, the boxed copy of GTA, well, that's all mine, cos I loved that game back in the day, even though it's pretty rubbish in design compared to today's games... Smiley

As for freecycle, about the only time someone actually collected something first time was for an old proper high-flow toilet (cleaned out of course!), didn't know at the time why they were so enthusiastic about getting it, but, apparently there's collectors of toilets out there, that or they really needed a toilet for their house, or something, I don't really know!! Grin

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

It's good to know all ended well and some of those cast offs were found good homes Thumbs_Up

Sounds like you and I have similar standards for cleanliness, I wouldn't dream of putting anything on freecycle without first cleaning it. I'm always amazed that most people don't bother though, there's nothing worse than collecting something which is covered in animal hairs or a thick layer of dust. I notice people around here even advertise the dust as being part of the deal. Makes me feel all itchy!

Collectors of toilets? Really? Whatever next! I could make a joke about that but it's probably a load of [censored] Shocked

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I used to repair computers for a living before my sleep disorder screwed up my life, and the state of some peoples' computers, ugh, the worst one being a heavy smoker's, it was caked with tar-laden dust, reeked like 10,000 wet ashtrays, and was sticky, it was just utterly disgusting, of course they brought it in because they had no idea why it wouldn't power up any more, they were shown why and explained to them that tobacco smoke and computers do not get along, and then got sold a new PC, which probably suffered the same fate...

Though the laptop that had been peed on (don't know who or what by, probably a small dog) was probably the most sickening, lifted the keyboard and there it was, smell, wetness and all, and I just went "Nope!!!" and went off to wash my hands, nasty!!! Shocked

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well at least you never had to visit their homes. I used to work as a television engineer for a few years and some of those places......  yuk.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I only ever did one housecall when working at the computer shop, and the guy was a hoarder, the sort of thing you see on TV where they have piles upon piles of stuff everywhere, old fella he was, even had a Morris Minor Traveller in his garage, but couldn't get to it...

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Years ago when I was as a service engineer myself I remember going to someone’s house to have a look at their TV. A young oriental family who insisted that I took my shoes off at the door. I then went into the living room off of which was the kitchen. The living room was immaculate but the kitchen, well that was a surprise.

Everything, and I mean everything was covered in tin foil. The hob, the walls, worktops, drawer and door fronts, you name it. I was so tempted to ask ‘Why?’ but I thought better of it but I’d never seen anything like it in my life.

Oh and there’s this. I went to another house knocked on the door and a young girl (17+) answered it, but on her way to the door she’d stood in a cat turd that was on the hall floor and it was stuck to her foot and squeezing out through her toes! I am serious. The house was rank, with an acrid smell of cat urine and faeces, the general filth on the floor was astounding, and without exaggeration you could have written in it.

It still makes my flesh crawl thinking about it now.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I think we all have similar stories, I certainly have. Most memorable was lady answering the door with one boob hanging out!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Many years ago I once called at a house where an elderly lady lived, likely a similar age to what I am now.

On the mantle piece was one of those old pictures of a young girl, so I asked," was that you when you were younger"

No she it, " It was my mother, she died when I was a young girl and never a day goes by that I do not think of her."

That really got to me and I have never forgotten it all these years later.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman - She may well have been wanting to keep abreast with you, as you went up the hall. Grin