Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 years of Windows

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

30 years of Windows

Well I thought they were in use for a couple of centuries at least  Cheesy
No seriously 30 years ago MS released Windows 1. It's been steadily in decline since  Grin
http://winsource.com/2013/11/12/windows-through-the-years/
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
28 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: 30 years of Windows

How time flies when you're having fun Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Well I thought they were in use for a couple of centuries at least  Cheesy
No seriously 30 years ago MS released Windows 1. It's been steadily in decline since  Grin

Cool Thanks for that. Doesn't time fly.
Funny thing, other weekend I got to see someone's retro IBM AT with Windows 3.1 installed. Win 3.1 is a genuine under-pant of an OS. It even did a BSOD for us when trying to load Lotus from the volumous 320MB hard drive - he needed the recovery disc!
But at least Win 3.1 was saleable; unlike Wins 1, 2 and 3.0 [and DOS 4], which were bigger debacles than Vista. When Apple invented the Macintosh, they tested the OS to death so poeple could fall in love with their tiny desktop box. Microsoft on the other hand adopted a policy of having Windows stress tested by their paying [corporate] customers - and then in two years time, charge them for a better more secure version.
Today the world knows better than suffer another version of Windows - Hello IOS Android Ubuntu Chrome etc. And even though I think XP is the high water mark, unless Microsoft pulls an OS from the ether that's better and more secure than everythig else, both Windows and Microsoft, are headed for the great BSOD in the sky.

Community Veteran

I never thought of Windows 1 or 2 as an OS, they were just "Environments" on top of DOS.
Windows 3, though heavily DOS-based was an OS, though 3.1 introduced a lot of useful improvements, not least printer drivers, TrueType and a graphic file manager.
I think Windows 7 will in time, if not already, supplant XP as the "best" version of Windows.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bring back CP/M.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I remember playing with a computer with the original windows on as a kid. At that time though I was writing my own software on an old RML380Z at school (we won a national competition with that program lol). I progressed to the ZX Spectrum from there ......
WTF
Grafter

Windows has actually been fine since NT - well, Win2K for consumer versions.
Prior that, each iteration was simply a refinement to the definition of "pants".  In the mid-90s I was doing some fairly high end BI stuff on Win95 and spend almost as much of my time waiting for re-starts as I did working.
My first windows machine was a 486 laptop with 2MB of RAM, a 100MB HDD and a 7" screen - I thought it was a bit of a beast at the time  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
I think Windows 7 will in time, if not already, supplant XP as the "best" version of Windows.

As much as I love XP myself, my Win7 machine is superior for stability. I can leave it running for months at a time and although it gets s little sluggish, it just doesn't crash. Best OS I've ever used in the MS family of OS's.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Bring back CP/M.

Lest not forget OS/2 Warp - which some of you have done : it was IBM's answer to Windows 3. Yes, you can forget it again.
Quote from: WTF
My first windows machine was a 486 laptop with 2MB of RAM, a 100MB HDD and a 7" screen - I thought it was a bit of a beast at the time  Grin

I had a 386SX - cost me more in actual money than an iMac would today.
At least I could teleport... by bringing work home on a floppy disc.
Community Veteran

With the stopping of support for XP in April I have just ordered a new desktop with Windows 7.  Looking forward to receiving it in  a few days.
A lot of people criticize Microsoft and Bill Gates but I wonder where we would be without them Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Thunderclap
Quote from: WTF

I had a 386SX - cost me more in actual money than an iMac would today.
At least I could teleport... by bringing work home on a floppy disc.

386?  Luxury!
I had an Amstrad 286 running a version of Windows (possibly Amstrad OEM specific) called Windows 286.  It was eventually upgraded to 1MB RAM and a 287 co-processor but still had the original 20MB hard drive when it got chucked in a skip.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

In a bit of a mess artmo!
Bill for all his faults has pushed the PC market forwards time and time again. Linux lovers bash MS senseless but without MS, Linus torvolds (or whatever his name is) wouldn't have written linux due to his frustrations with MS windows. We wouldn't have linux unless Windows had come around! You could also argue that without MS to compete against, Apple wouldn't be doing too well either.
You'll like your Win7 machine artmo, its a great OS, far better than XP and far more reliable than Vista too.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

My past computers include an Atari ST 512 and an 8086 with a 10" (I think) orange screen!  That also had a massive 20MB hard drive, though it did get quite full until I used DoubleSpace on it!  Back then Crown Computers (which then because VTech) had a base on the industrial estate a couple of miles away from me.  I spent many an afternoon after school going through boxes of various components looking for something that we would want, that they would sell to you "cheap"!  My start find was a 386DX board.
Phil
Fixes: 125

My first delve into the world of Windows was a family W98 Machine (subsequently upgraded to ME - yuk). My first self-build was W2K Pro which was wonderfully stable.
My first venture into a windows environment was with RiscOS. And in many ways is would still be my OS of choice except the software for video editing was limited and dwindling.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Depends how you define the word, 'windows' I Guess most people link it to Microsoft but I clearly remember in the last few editions of Beebug (a magazine for the BBC Micro) some programs written to produce a windows environment from which you could launch other programs and yes they did make a mouse for the BBC Micro.
Must be others who remember this ? Smiley