cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd phone scam re internet connection - report and warning

Highlighted
Grafter

2nd phone scam re internet connection - report and warning

(Really not sure where to post this. Pls move to relevant forum if needed.)

Call this morning from 'your internet provider'. Automated. "...We are cutting your internet connection in 24-hours due to illegal activity... For more info press 1..."

Didn't press 1!  Dialled 1471. Was an 0153 number. Called PlusNet. Very helpful chap. Assured me PlusNet had not called. He took the number to report it.

This afternoon. Same call. This time number was 01022 896 985. Very bad line.

So, just to report that number, and warn others. Probably wise not to 'press 1' ...

PS. had quick look and didn't see any other posts on this subject. Apologies if this is a repeat.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: 2nd phone scam re internet connection - report and warning

Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @IanSn

There's actually several posts across the forums over the years regarding similar types of call. Nonetheless, thanks for highlighting this.

A more recent post might bring awareness to some of our newer forum users.

I'm afraid these phishing scams are becoming commonplace in the age we live.

Sadly it isn't rocket science for scammers to cold call a landline and suggest that a customers 'internet is compromised', 'router needs replacing' or 'has a bill to pay' and recommend pressing 1 or risk being cut off.

It will then follow with steps on the call to provide personal information, bank details, etc

With situations like this, we encourage customers to be vigilant and never proceed in following instructions from a cold caller like this.

If calls like this become a problem we do offer some call features that can divert some of these annoyances. More information can be found

HERE

In addition, you can always report the calls directly here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 32

Hi @IanSn This is a massive problem for anyone who answers these automated calls. I would suggest having a look at:http://uk.whocalledme.net/ just as one source of information on the subject - there are others, just have a search, but I prefer this on as there are regular responders.

PN (or any ISP, for that matter) would never use an automated call of that nature, and I am guessing the call was from either 'BT' - who would never call an end-user direct - or 'your internet provider', another give-away as they would a) announce themselves as 'Plusnet' -in our case and b) wouldn't be using a general phone number anyway.

Your first call area code is incomplete - we need the four digits after the '0', and the second one doesn't even exist.

John
Highlighted
Fixes: 436

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Plusnet Feedback to General Chat.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Very true @jab1

You tend to find that the scammer tries abit of cold reading. Some often say they're from BT or Openreach. Given the size of the customer base, there's a high likelihood of success in guessing the customer uses an Openreach network line. Is like those fake mediums asking if you know someone called 'John'...

We would always announce we are from Plusnet if we were calling and generally Openreach would only contact a customer directly if they were either aware of an issue or expecting an engineer to begin with.

Again, none of this would be automated and there will be a human on the other end of the line.

Highlighted
Grafter

Wasn't 100% sure I scribbled first number correctly - 01531 266 2454

The second one was exactly what 1471 reported! (Q- it's possible to spoof a non-existent number for 1471?)

Yes, all the signs were saying do not press 1! And the message would have said it was PlusNet. 'Your Internet provider' was a dead giveaway.

But looks like these are random numbers and even non-existent ones, so how how you chase them down?

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@IanSn wrote: But looks like these are random numbers and even non-existent ones, so how how you chase them down?

Just put it down to experience. I have no doubt in the future, there will be secondary checks made by the system to check hat a number is actually THE number it says it is. But amazingly (given how important phone numbers are becoming) we are nowhere near there yet.

Or are we? HMRC have started getting text messages etc blocked. How soon before things start to move on the security front..

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Grafter

3 more today. One of them was a number with my area code, so obvs that company, whose name I forget, are part of this. Y'know, the one that allows a scammer's number to masquerade as your local number to increase the likelihood of you picking it up. (And who, when you task them with this, just say "Hey! don't shoot the messenger!" Complicit enabler more like.)

Anyway... just venting.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you answer, and when they enquire: "Is this Mr (Mrs)xxxx, or are you the homeowner......."

DO NOT SAY YES

Apparently they may Record this and later state you agreed to something untoward, or expensive !

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 32

@IanSn wrote:

3 more today. One of them was a number with my area code, so obvs that company, whose name I forget, are part of this. Y'know, the one that allows a scammer's number to masquerade as your local number to increase the likelihood of you picking it up. (And who, when you task them with this, just say "Hey! don't shoot the messenger!" Complicit enabler more like.)

Anyway... just venting.

@IanSn I don't know who 'that company', but I think you will find the more intelligent (read sneaky) scammers actually block-dial say, a batch of Leeds numbers say, using a '0113' code invalid number to hide their own ID - nothing to do with anyone else.

@Anonymous From checking on this 'scam' previously, I'm fairly certain it is more of an urban myth.

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Anonymous wrote:

DO NOT SAY YES

Apparently they may Record this and later state you agreed to something untoward, or expensive !

DO NOT SAY NO EITHER, that can be used as an answer to their question, "Do you mind if ... ?"

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 3

I occasionally chat to these callers and get try to get them away from their script. 

To one caller we got talking about the location he was working from. Given the various clues I reckoned he was working in a tall building along from Holborn Viaduct heading towards the City. Knowing the area well I’d like to think he was in the BT building. How ironic that would be, but he could have been just reading another paragraph on his script....

Highlighted

Fake Open Reach calls - again

Looking online this looks like it's been around for awhile, where a Foreign Guy (Indian) makes out he's from Open Reach and says that you've got an issue in your area with broadband speed.
When I asked him for his number so that i could call back, he hung up, which didn't surprise me.

What did surprise me though was the number that he called on looked as though it was a Geographical UK number and when I tried to look it up online there was next to no reference about it.

01278 962539 An automated response just says the number is not recognised.
Is it easy for scammers to use these sorts of numbers and practically fool us into it's a legitimate number?

Also as per some of the older stories on the web about this, there is the sound of a busy office going on in the background which I guess leads to an element of authenticity.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again

@davidsalata wrote:

Also as per some of the older stories on the web about this, there is the sound of a busy office going on in the background which I guess leads to an element of authenticity.

The sound of the busy office is genuine, there will be a plague of these people there trying their best to scam some poor mug out of their money.