cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£24 per day to drive in London

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

£24 per day to drive in London

From the 8th April 2019 it could cost you £24 extra tax per day to drive in London. Check if your car is affected here.

This latest money raising scheme by Sadiq Khan, the present Mayor is a flat daily rate regardless of the actual mileage covered.

Edit: rate fix

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Re: £25 per day to drive in London

Complete rip off of course - and don't get me started about the Congestion Tax.

Where is the evidence it has actually reduced congestion? So buses and emergency vehicles don't cause it too? Silly me they're emergency vehicles. You don't exactly need a Physics degree to work out they take up the same room as the road as you or I would.

So even if you don't drive in London, when you buy something, how do you think the goods get there in the first place? Delivery lorries have to pay the Congestion Tax too - and no answers needed on a postcard on where that cost gets passed onto.

Now we have ultra low emission charge. Which is supposed to help the planet even more. Or just encourage people with older cars which still work to get newer ones. It's either to save the planet, or to get old working cars off the road and help car dealers make new sales and £.

You don't need to tell me what one I think it is.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: £24 per day to drive in London

@AlaricAdair wrote:

From the 8th April 2019 it could cost you £24 extra tax per day to drive in London. Check if your car is affected here.

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 02.14.33.jpg

Hybrid Jazz, and only £10 p.a. Vehicle Tax

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Anyone driving into London deserves everything they get*. Personally I would replace the charge with snipers...

*Emergency, delivery, service vehicles etc excepted.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

@DaveyH  not a very appropriate comment, considering the number of murders in the capital this year..........

Community Veteran

The Congestion tax contributes to the cost of running London Transport, paying for bus fare subsidies and the like. It helps to "reduce congestion" by having half the road lanes capacity reserved for buses and black cabs, while letting the remainder of the traffic use the other half of the road system.

Of course the majority of London Transport buses are diesel powered...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Someone remind me what fares are for?

Community Veteran

Fares on London Transport are merely a palliative to misdirect passengers from understanding they are taking advantage of the grossly unfair taxation of car drivers. Also the move to electric powered vehicles merely shifts the pollution to the countryside where the power generation plants are located.  NB: the only nuclear pile in London was located in the basement of what is now Greenwich University.  The Navy built one there.

Kimberlin
Rising Star

I have of course been to London, indeed, from 1971 to 1973, I lived in East Acton, but seeing as I've only ever visited our great Capital City just about 10 times since the early 1970's, this latest news just reinforces my position that I'm in absolutely no hurry whatsoever to visit London any time soon. In fact, I prefer Cape Town, which I've been visiting regularly for the last 25 years and if you stand on the top of Table Mountain, you can see the smog hanging there, but it doesn't put me off, and there's no congestion charge. Oh, and I get more for my money down there! Wink

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I used to work in Teddington, nr London in the 1970's

Driving into and around London back then was quite pleasurable, more recently it is not.

One thing that hasn't changed though, back then my sunglasses would get covered in dust after a day.

This is even more true these days, I pity anyone that has to breathe in this muck on a daily basis.

Particulate filters on the cars' aircon units helps, though.

But I am not usually driving... I have someone to do that for me when on business.

Much less hassle.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Kimberlin wrote:

I have of course been to London, indeed, from 1971 to 1973, I lived in East Acton, ...

I prefer Cape Town, ...

Wormwood Scrubs was it?  Cheesy

A lot of South Africans of British descent have moved to London in order to get away from the horrendous crime rate in the 'Rainbow Nation'.  As one put it, "I got sick of all the carjacking."  The criminals now routinely kill the car's owner/driver so that there is no living witness to their crime.

Community Veteran

@Jonpe

.A lot of South Africans of British descent have moved to London in order to get away from the horrendous crime rate...................

So.... kinda... coals to/from newcastle then  ? ? ?

Community Veteran

I went to London once...... I think it was in the late 1950`s... Went on a skool trip to the Imperial War Museum...

didn`t like London at all... the museum wasn`t too bad though..... since then the only view I have had of visits to London was travelling on the underground system, between Waterloo station and St. Pancras station, during Leave periods to get home. 

A neighbour asked me to drive him and his wife up to London some years ago, to a theatre.  but I refused on the grounds that I would only end up getting them lost and missing the show... !

Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

I went to London once...... I think it was in the late 1950`s... Went on a skool trip to the Imperial War Museum...

Did similar in the sixties. Except several of us found Soho, as it was in the swinging sixties, much more interesting.Smiley

No matter what they charge car drivers it will have no effect on half the total pollution which is the amount estimated to come from the buildings in London. Something that never appears in newspaper headlines like your office / shop / home is responsible for blah blah early deaths etc.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

London residents who are 60+ get free travel on all buses, tubes and some mainline trains in the London area.

I live on the extreme edge of London and the centre is about 10 miles away but I hardly ever use my travel pass; can't be bothered. Grin