cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20p for 1pee

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

20p for 1pee

Is it just me that finds this ludicrous...

In one of our local towns which used to charge 20p for the public toilets but had an attendant who used to keep the place vandal fee and absolutely spotless - because the fee was 20p coin you could get change from the attendant.  Now they have installed a contactless card terminal and taken the attendant away, the result is that you can no longer pay with cash, the toilets are not cleaned regularly and you can only get access if you have a contactless card.  Most businesses prefer you to use cash up to a limit of say £5 when they will accept cards, because at lower amounts the charges for service eat up their profit. This also means that older people who are more likely to use the toilets and less likely to have a contactless card are denied access - we saw a few turn back when they found they had to use a contactless card to pay - is this the future where ridiculously small amounts of money will get paid by card transcations ?

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: 20p for 1pee

Cheques were supposed to be abolished in 2016, and we are working towards a cashless society so it'll be cards or no deal.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@wotsup 

Add to that, older people are more liable to get taken short.

When I was a little lad and before going out we'd be asked if we needed to go for a wee, now in my 70s the Mrs asks me the same thing!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

But cheques were a cashless society, so what happened?

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

They cost a lot to process, and take longer at the check-out.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Also cheque fraud in all its various flavours.

A simple one that comes to mind would be how easy it would be to change Eight to Eighty and £8 to £80.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

@wotsup  Take it up with your MP, give him/her something meaningful to do....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Would that be our M Pee? 

Let's be honest, they've been taking it for years anyway. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

Would that be our M Pee? 

... they've been taking it for years anyway. 

And charging a lot more than 20p.

Highlighted
Rising Star

All of the remaining ( council run) public toilets, that i know of are free to use, except for those automated things.

As for payment for such things, I supose it comes to a point where the processing of payments costs more than its worth.

As for this:

[quote]This also means that older people who are more likely to use the toilets and less likely to have a contactless card are denied access[/quote]

Could that not be argued as discrimination on age grounds? As people age, they are more likly to pick up ailmments that will mean they have to use toilet facilities more often, there are other disabilities that can affect people of all ages, which mean they will need to access toilet facilities much more frequently.

And at the other end of the scale to the older people isue, is one for younger people who will be old enough to start venturing out into the world , gaining a little independance and so on, but not yet be old enough to have a contactless bank card

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Free to pee. How hard can it be to provide for a basic human need.

So it costs the community money to provide toilets. So what?

Out of rates or out of our pockets I see little difference.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One of the problems charging for toilets has caused is that certain people decide that everywhere is a toilet, for both duties, and not just men doing such things either....... Shocked

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Saturday night in Swansea, and young 'ladies' squatting in doorways and trust me, they were not doing just number one's either... neither I imagine is just it just this particular town, dump though it is at times.

See what I did there? Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman 

Do they not have video cameras in Swansea ?

Post a few of those on youtube and they are unlikely to get caught again with their pants down.

Been a few times where people have been caught doing this and made to clean the mess up themselves.

No excuse, there are plenty of pubs around all with toilets and I suspect they have a degree of blame getting people so drunk they behave like this.

Not just Swansea though, similar thing occurs in Blackpool and no doubt other places.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Not just Swansea and I think I said that, and a video camera (and yes they do/did have them) is not going to stop you squatting or having scrap come to that.

And would blame shaming be the answer? Not so sure m'slef.