cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20mph Speed Limit

Fixes: 47

20mph Speed Limit

Our entire estate is due to be designated a 20mph zone presumably as there are 3 schools in the area.
Posts on a local forum suggest it will generally be ignored.
Having emailed the person in charge of it's implementation I am advised that "Safer Neighbourhood Team officers now have 30 speed guns for use in areas of community concern; they will initially issue advice and warnings to drivers rather than seeking prosecution. Those driving at 30mph plus are of course a completely different case."
It's a 2nd or 3rd gear drive for me at most so it will be interesting when it's in force next year.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: 20mph Speed Limit

Already in force for about 95% of Portsmouth  ( Portsea Island )... lots of 2 up 2 down, coronation street houses, with cars parked nose to tail, on both sides.... makes it difficult to drive faster than 20mph anyway.... Don`t live on the island, so can`t say what the effect has been over the last year or so, ... however, I saw a news item somewhere that Oxfordshire, is NOT going to extend or enforce any new 20mph zones.... I think the reason why, was, they were waiting for the local police force to advise how they were going to enforce it....
itsme
Grafter

In my town the 20mph areas have 'traffic calming' measures so if you do drive faster than the limit you need to fit skids on the bottom of the car.

Quote from Sheffield City Council site....
There will be no traffic calming measures such as road humps, as we don’t have the funding available for these.
Community Veteran

I am not in favour of a 20mph limit.  Initially it may be enforced but eventually it won't be. I think the Police have higher priorities than a 20mph speed limit to worry about.
I notice that in Strat's link Sheffield talks about 'possible' benefits.  It appears there has been no evidence put forward to support the move.
Community Veteran

I'm sure the dangerous drivers association will rise to the challenge.
Paying no attention to driving, bouncing over pavements, knocking down bollards, tail gating, doughnuts, all can be achieved at 20mph.
Speed cameras only stop speeding not bad driving. A police presence is required on the road to stop that.
Though some of the few police drivers I've seen lately often contribute to the bad drivers club.

Quote from: artmo
It appears there has been no evidence put forward to support the move.

In his email to me the Transport, Traffic & Parking Services spokesperson said this....
Research into similar schemes indicates that we can expect only a small reduction in average speeds to start with but over time we hope to build on this with the long term aim to establish 20mph as the appropriate speed to drive at in residential areas like Lowedges.  Of course this will only be possible if the law abiding majority buy into the scheme and moderate the speed they themselves drive at.
Community Veteran

That doesn't sound very 'evidential' does it Undecided
Community Veteran

Personally I've never understood the need for 20mph limits outside schools. 99% of drivers moderate their speed outside of schools at busy times. The 1% that doesn't wouldn't take any notice of a speed limit anyway.
The vehicles that never seem to slow down are buses. In one narrow road outside a junior school I literally could never bare to watch when a double decker went up the road. With cars parked on one side the bus takes up the full road width with the drivers side wheels running in the gutter. Always plowed on regardless of the young kids crowding and leaping about on the pavement, barely more than a foot away.

Quote from: artmo
That doesn't sound very 'evidential' does it Undecided

Don't shoot the messenger Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I voted no.
In 'built up areas' could mean an entire town. Thats pointless.
Around schools, yes I am behind the idea 100% as it will no doubt save many children from being killed but all over town (and cities) no it is not a good idea.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Sprite

In 'built up areas' could mean an entire town.  Wink

See my earlier posting.....  Portsmouth.
Fixes: 125

I concur with Sprite.
I prefer the notices that flash your speed if you are going faster than your limit.
Although I have no evidence I have perceived a marked reduction in vehicles passing these.
Something else I have noticed near where my mother lives are the beacons at a pedestrian crossing. The white markings are now very bright lights and I can't see the point (no pun intended). When it's dark they are bright enough so that you find it difficult to actually see if anyone is about to cross. I think they are more dangerous this way. Has anybody else seen these?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

There is support in various circles for the default 30mph limit to be reduced to 20mph.
I've seen reports of villages where the centre marking on the main road though the village was removed causing drivers to slow down as a reference point was missing.
Something I experienced in Vancouver Canadian speed limits..
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I've seen reports of villages where the centre marking on the main road though the village was removed causing drivers to slow down as a reference point was missing.

I've always wondered about the legality of that. When a road is of a certain minimum width it's supposed to have centre markings. These markings do more than just define the roads centre. Through the lengths of the dash lines they also warn of dangers ahead.
If we are seriously talking about road safety then many would like to see road edges white lined, especially where there is no lighting.
I see the missing centre line as no more than cost cutting with a spin.