cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Read this on Twitter earlier. Take extra care when dating important documents in 2020; write the year using all four digits so that it can't be easily amended.

"While writing a date on any document in the upcoming year 2020, we should write it in its full format, e.g. 31/01/2020 and not as 31/01/20 because anyone can change it to 31/01/2000 or 31/01/2019 or in between any year to suit their convenience. That can render the document invalid"

😃

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 2020

Of course, having xx/xx/19 could have been manipulated to give dates in the 1900s, or the days of the month could be altered to change the day to look like it was post-dated, etc., so it's not really new... 😂

And besides, I read a lot of things on twitter that are just made up facts, apparently Prince Philip died the other day according to one trending hashtag thing... 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

I think that cheques are only valid for  6 months from the date written on them.........Huh

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke 

I don't know about that, I saw him on the news recently leaving hospital and you could tell he'd kicked the royal bucket. He'd been dead for a couple of days by the look of him.

The wonders of the NHS.

Checking on cheques @shutter 😃

They are valid or six years but some banks reserve the right to cancel them after six months.

Highlighted
Pro

@twocvbloke wrote:

And besides, I read a lot of things on twitter that are just made up facts

How can a fact be made up, it's either factual or chimerical.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Mook  Correction.... it`s either fact....

or not...

.can`t be anything else.

Wink

Highlighted
Pro

A definition of Chimerical.

Definition of chimerical

1 : existing only as the product of unchecked imagination : fantastically visionary (see visionary entry 1 sense 2) or improbable chimerical dreams of economic stability
2 : given to fantastic schemes She's a chimerical optimist infused with utopian visions.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

@twocvbloke 

I don't know about that, I saw him on the news recently leaving hospital and you could tell he'd kicked the royal bucket. He'd been dead for a couple of days by the look of him.

The wonders of the NHS.

Checking on cheques @shutter 😃

They are valid or six years but some banks reserve the right to cancel them after six months.

Probably not cancel, but not pay without reference to the drawer, though the bank may use discretion and pay all the same.

Cheques supported by a guarantee card have to be paid.

Of course the risk assessed paying of smaller sums without detailed scrutiny raises the possibility of a stale cheque being paid. With, however, fewer cheques being drawn that happening becomes less frequent.

Digressing a bit, when we drew currency drafts. we had to write the whole date as text longhand

e.g twentiethJanuarynineteenhunderedandeightysix- no gaps, to cope with other realms' date customs.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@twocvbloke wrote:

Of course, having xx/xx/19 could have been manipulated to give dates in the 1900s, or the days of the month could be altered to change the day to look like it was post-dated, etc., so it's not really new... 😂

And besides, I read a lot of things on twitter that are just made up facts, apparently Prince Philip died the other day according to one trending hashtag thing... 🤣

Yeah but 19 limits you to anything from or before 1999.

20 would allow a baddie to write a very recent date - like 2019 - or any other year within the 6 year statute of limitations.

Easiest thing to do would be to write the 20 and then a line right next to it eg: 20----- so that it blocks anyone from adding anything.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I always follow my bank's instructions regarding this, and their 'correct' way of dating cheques is for example 29th December 2019, and I always put a line through any unused space after the amount in words.

It's about time that a standard for the numerical represention of dates was adopted;  we, like most of Europe, use ddmmyy, whilst in the US it's mmddyy, and our passports use the Swedish system of yymmdd.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe wrote:

... the Swedish system of yymmdd.

Which is also good to use at the beginning of computer filenames (although yyyymmdd is better) so that they're sorted chronologically, e.g when conducting a legal case.  Cool  Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

computer filenames for legal cases? - Heck i store those in a database instead - that sorts them far more efficiently, you can apply filters etc etc... Oh and you only need to copy one file when backing up... and as long as you have that one file you know nothing gets lost as it's all inside that one file.

Likewise all my post gets scanned into a database too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Its more like 1920 with all this talk of cheques, writing dates and post....

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@DaveyH wrote:

Its more like 1920 with all this talk of ...

Don't mention the war.

I bought a full size alloy wheel from Germany on eBay yesterday (to replace the space-saver-spare presently in my car) using a credit card, something which I don't think would have even been dreamt of in 1920.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've not seen my chequebook in years, and not used it in even more years, it's in a box that I packed up in Lancashire back in 2011, and is so old it still has the LloydsTSB name on it... 😂

As for writing dates, that still needs doing of course on many forms and things (particularly prescriptions if like me you're on meds to be happy), but it's all part of the joy that is paperwork, part of the the paperless office of the future that should have been today that never was... 🤣