cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200th Soldier Dies in Afghanistan

Community Veteran

200th Soldier Dies in Afghanistan

Our 200th soldier from the Afghan War died in Selly Oak Hospital yesterday and a further soldier has been killed in Afghanistan bringing the total to 201.  Isn't It time to say this futility must end?  Are we getting anywhere in the war?  How many more soldiers must die before we come to our senses?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6798001.ece
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 200th Soldier Dies in Afghanistan

Did they do this is WWII - report in the paper the total war dead and injured, interview the family on the radio, have funeral processions from the docks to the home town.
I have the GREATEST of respect for the armed forces and the people themselves - but the modern media has gone way over the top.
The First World war was fought on far less justification than either the Iraqi or Afghan conflicts.
Community Veteran

Of course they didn't do it in WWII because the media wasn't so instant in its response.  I would imagine if they had the facilities that exist today it would have been wall-to-wall coverage.
I've never heard the Armed Forces or the families who have lost their loved ones complain about the reports. Judging by the numbers that turn out to pay respects as the coffins go through the streets they also find it acceptable. 
Community Veteran

They did have newspapers every day in the 1940's you know and the telegraph worked around the world - telex machines even
they weren't in the dark ages
! - they did have national radio too..............
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Seems a very long time ago, but the reporting from the Falklands took a long time to get here, Satalites were in their infancy, now two seconds later we have it from nearly anywhere
Community Veteran

I think the reason the stories took several days to get to the papers / TV was the military restricted access to the satellite channels. And even then the press - and BBC leaked stories that lead directly to the deaths of our own troops &  sailors
The technology existed then - we in Marconi Marine shipped dozens of Satellite terminals to the ships when the order was given to send the fleet - people were working huge amounts of overtime to meet the orders. But as well as that - ( there was still radio telex on the Maritime HF radio bands and many Merchant ships had it in the late 70's )- so long reports could be sent back to papers etc etc.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Artificial satellites had been circling the planet for 25 years before the Falklands war...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

maybe but satellite phones were in there infancy.

The count now is 203
Community Veteran

I don't think satellite phones - even for the military were available for the early 1980's - the terminals for ships / shore were rather larger than that. !! domes covering the dish were about a meter across IIRC
Community Veteran

Today has brought the total killed to 204.  With the elections at the end of the week this situation could get even worse.