cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£20,000 fine

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

£20,000 fine

Channel 5 have been fined £20,000 for broadcasting a video from the 'can't pay we will take it away' program.

I often wondered what the position was if someone filmed you in such circumstances and put it on national television without your permission.

Guess my question has been answered.

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: £20,000 fine

I often wondered how they convinced people to consent to seeing themselves being put in a bad light on TV - especially inside their own homes.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

All those sort of programs are just nasty versions of Candid Camera.

Dump the lot. I wouldn't miss them.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 3

@7up wrote:

I often wondered how they convinced people to consent to seeing themselves being put in a bad light on TV - especially inside their own homes.

Assuming that Donald Trump really is a person I think he might well have his work cut out! Cheesy

Anonymous
N/A

@gleneagles wrote:

Channel 5 have been fined £20,000

No, they haven’t. There was no criminal case, and no fine. They have been ordered to pay £20,000 damages to the family shown being evicted. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/feb/22/couple-filmed-evicted-channel-5-tv-show-win-damages-hi...

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

I've never watched any of the programmes in this series but surely the participants have to give consent?  Or is it a question of people who think they'll get a career in presenting or a call from Hollywood, and when that doesn't happen, they sue?

Community Veteran

Channel 5 defended the filming tactics as in the public interest as the show addressed real-life issues including personal debt and the dependence of tenants on benefits, and claimed viewing such scenes “was the best way to engage the public and stimulate debate”.

Absolutely disgusting attitude. How is humiliating a family to the nation "in the public interest" ?

During the show, Paul Bohill, one of the eviction officers, tells the landlord to provoke the tenants and “say whatever you like, just give it some wellie”. He is heard twice saying that it made “good television”.

How immoral and screwed up do you have to be to do that to someone?

The worst part is this - and IMO Channel 5 and their bailiff chums have a duty of care to prevent this happening to a minor:

The show, which was watched 9.6m times on Channel 5 channels over an 18-month period, also resulted in the couple’s daughter being bullied at school, the court heard.

I'd be surprised if the daughter was not able to sue them herself a second time. Channel 5 have no right to impose that on a child and yet that is exactly what they've done.

Community Veteran

l

@Anonymous wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

Channel 5 have been fined £20,000

No, they haven’t. There was no criminal case, and no fine. They have been ordered to pay £20,000 damages to the family shown being evicted. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/feb/22/couple-filmed-evicted-channel-5-tv-show-win-damages-high-court

Ok fair point.

My statement was based on the headline shown on the BBC news online.

Thanks for the link to a more accurate account.

Smiley

Fixes: 193

There's always people who want their 15 minutes of fame, those that want to watch others have their moment and those that will make the programs to watch.

I never watch these kinds of programs by choice but they have been on when at other's houses and I have never been impressed by what I have seen. Let's face it, real life can be pretty boring viewing (just look at holiday videos) so the producers have to 'beef' things up to make it more watchable to get the advertisers in.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Real life isn't just boring in this country it can also be incredibly difficult to survive too.

How Channel 5 think it's good to make a mockery of peoples lives is beyond me.

Fixes: 193

Just to be clear I didn't say real life can be boring but viewing on TV it certainly can beWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@7up wrote:

Real life isn't just boring in this country it can also be incredibly difficult to survive too.

Bit of a strong description, I accept it can be difficult to have a decent life in this country for many reasons but, ' incredibly difficult to survive' ? Now if you were living in Syria or a number of other war torn countries then the term would be accurate.Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Community Veteran

That depends on your angle @gleneagles

I cannot dispute that those in the middle east have been having an incredibly difficult time and a lot of lives lost however this country is just as good at turning its back on its own people.

Community Veteran

I agree this country may well ignore some peoples problems but there is less chance of you being shot or bombed here.

It's important to remember that despite what you read in the press we live in times far better than past generations.

Community Veteran

Our standard of living is better - apparently - yes but then you also don't see a lot of rented accommodation that is full of damp / mould, leaking windows / roofs etc.

Our spare room has a gap so wide in the window you can see daylight through it - and it's a pretty nice 3 bed house. There are far worse properties out there in the rental market that good, decent, honest people are stuck in because the government favours paying money to private landlords rather than individuals to get themselves out of a hole.

Yes we have ore tech / gadgets but not everyone can afford to take part in the fun and those that cannot are then ostracised. Some folks - working full time - are relying on food banks. Others are struggling to clothe themselves.

What i'm saying is that you see what you see. If you don't see the worse side of the country because its swept under the carpet then you'd never know it was there / a problem. We do have some very serious problems in this country that politicians do not want to tackle because they have more important things to deal with - like making money and claiming expenses while supporting billionaires like Mr Branson who immediately demanded the government send help when his little island was hit by a storm recently. No Mr Branson, you chose to move out and pay little to no tax, you're not our problem should have been their reply. Somehow I doubt it was though.

Just because we don't drop bombs on our own people (yet) doesn't mean that our own country doesn't have huge problems making it difficult to survive.