cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5 million unemployed why aren't they out clearing snow for the min wage

Community Veteran

Re: 2.5 million unemployed why aren't they out clearing snow for the min wage

alanb, you're right it was on the news at the weekend that the Army was called in to snowbound areas to open the roads up.
I think it is an excellent idea to use the unemployed to clear snow.
Fixes: 347

Quote from: Oldjim
But do they need insurance against damaging the roads

I'd be surprised if they do more damage than this current freeze is doing Wink
I seem to recall something said about more money earmarked for repairs...it's going to be needed.
I could really believe health and safety issues cropping up with the unemployed suggestion.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
@Alanb  Both of your post above, did you read my Official copy of the Red fuel rules above, Snow clearance dont have any limits

Yes, sorry, first time I read the extracts you posted, I'd assumed that the 14 mile limit you mentioned would still apply to a farmer's tractor clearing snow. On re-reading, it is obviously worded in a way that does not imply that. Though the news story I mentioned did say that there was a problem with farmers using red diesel for this. I don't recall them explaining why, but it could just have been due to over-zealous officials not understanding their remit I suppose.
Soupachef

Quote from: artmo
I think it is an excellent idea to use the unemployed to clear snow.

I think so too, I've just returned from living and working in Spain, and over there if you are unemployed for more than 3 months, you become a street sweeper, or some such or lose your benefit. Not much call for snow shifters though.  Wink
Community Veteran

It was stated today that there are 1.6M claimants who have never worked Shocked  Maybe some of these people should be brought in to deal with this type of work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Well in Edinburgh the council have just called in the army to clear the streets of the protesters against the trams snow.
As I am one of the long term unemployed, all be it not signing on as I don't get ANY benefits (no kids and I own my own house, my wife could quit her job (19 hrs week) and we would be about £10 week worse off on benefits though), I spent about 4 hours just clearing my own drive way, (Ex council house so not a couple of miles :)) I think more money would be wasted "organising" it than actually doing it.
Round here they are clearing the roads by dumping the snow on the PATHS!  :crazy:
They have the local farmers trucking the snow out of the centre of the town in trailers, dumping it down by the river, so when it thaws we can have nice floods  :crazy: