cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5 million unemployed why aren't they out clearing snow for the min wage

tgr
Grafter

2.5 million unemployed why aren't they out clearing snow for the min wage

Someone at some point said why can't the army be put to work clearing snow.  We have about 100,000 in the army and them lads have enough to do fighting two wars.  However we have a much larger army of unemployed whom the government was going to get back to work.  Obviously some of these will be two old to do such work.  But there must be a very large number below the age of 40 who would welcome the min wage rather than the dole.
We would of course have to excuse those long term unemployed between 20 - 30 years of age as quite a few of that age need at least 14 to 18 hours a day sleep so that they have enough strength to pick up the dole money and carry home a few cases of lager to pass the time away.  Grin
Then of course I suppose health and safety would come into I believe snow and ice can get quite slippery and they just might  break a leg or worse still their neck.  Probably some  union would come out on strike expressing concern that snow can only be shifted by fully paid up union members who have had the necessary training to clear such snow and that unofficial snow clearers are putting their members jobs at risk. Undecided
20 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: 2.5 million unemployed why aren't they out clearing snow for the min wage

What about sending all the people In the slammer out to clear the snow with a ball and chain around their ankle?
alanb
Grafter

tgr, I think you have got that Army quote out of context. I can't remember where it is from, but I distinctly remember it was a reference to the Army have lots of equipment sitting idle. They have thousands of trucks and hundreds of bulldozers and diggers. Some will be in Iraq and Afghanistan, of course, but there will be hundreds of military vehicles sitting idle in supply dumps around the country that could be doing productive work in clearing snow.
nadger
Rising Star

I recall during winter of 53/54 being sent, along with loads of other squadies, to clear the road to a village, near us, in Hampshire  Cool
I've heard a rumour that in some areas the local unemployed are clearing the snow round the job centres so they can sign on  Roll eyes
@ alanb - doubt they could find people qualified to drive the vehicles unless they joined the army and were trained  Wink
tgr
Grafter

Yes alanB you are correct and like u i cannot remember where i saw it.  Perhaps they could give the unemployed an extra tenner a week on top of min wage if they brought there own shovel Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Gotta be honest, its not really such a bad idea is it.
The government could easily setup a NMW 'handyman' department which offers work as and when its needed. It's not rocket science is it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tgr
Grafter

To Nadger.  Did 22 years in army 9yrs RE 13yrs RAOC.  Where were you stationed in Hampshire .  I was in Farnborough / Aldershot in 57.  Then Malaya, Singapore, Borneo, Germany, Dover and the  notorious Deepcut.
Some of the lad at Dover went to work at the post office clearing mail and they cleared 24 hours work in 6 hours until they were taken to one side by a union rep who had a word in their ear.  We had the same thing happen when we used to do casual work on the docks.  We got £5 a day and as I was on £6.50 a week it was a fortune but again we worked too hard and words were said after that we went behind boxes and played 3 card brag instead of working Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

@tgr - did my REME trade training at Bordon - only did my 2 years NS.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: tgr
Yes alanB you are correct and like u i cannot remember where i saw it.

I think it was part of a larger story about farmers not being allowed to take their tractors out to clear roads because somebody was concerned that they might be using red diesel on the highways. I think there were some other issues too, but frankly, if the authorities can't manage to organise permission for farmers to do this for a few days, what chance is there of them organising something to utilise spare military vehicles.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from long past memory, farmers can use red fuel for 14 miles a day on the road  * Not  in a4x4 though *
pierre_pierre
Grafter

memory not that bad
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pa...
lots in section 8
8.3 Tractors
To qualify as an excepted vehicle, the tractor must be an agricultural tractor designed and constructed primarily for use otherwise than on roads. It must be used on public roads solely for:
        (a) purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry,
        (b) cutting verges bordering public roads, or
        (c) cutting hedges or trees bordering public roads or bordering verges which border public roads.
See paragraph 8.21 for what we mean by activities falling within agriculture, horticulture or forestry.
If a tractor has a vehicle Excise licence as a general haulage vehicle it cannot use red diesel as a fuel either on or off public roads, regardless of whether it is undertaking agricultural, horticultural or forestry work. This is because it is licensed to perform other work and is not therefore assumed to be used solely for agriculture, horticulture or forestry.

8.10 Snow clearing vehicles
A vehicle is an excepted vehicle when it is being used to clear snow from public roads by means of a snow plough or similar device (whether or not forming part of the vehicle) or when it is travelling to or from the place where it is to be or has been used for that purpose.
alanb
Grafter

In that case it would not be too difficult to have another rule that allows higher road miles during winter, for the purpose of snow clearance.
alanb
Grafter

I'm remembering a bit more about this story. I think I heard it on a farming programme on the radio.
Local authorities can offer contracts for snow clearing, and farmers can apply for a contract. However, the rules about fuel and insurance and other rules that are imposed in the contracts make it very unattractive to farmers despite it being a quiet time of the year for many of them and snow clearing is something they would like to do to bring in extra income.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Alanb  Both of your post above, did you read my Official copy of the Red fuel rules above, Snow clearance dont have any limits
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

But do they need insurance against damaging the roads