Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Asus now Linksys (How many others)

TORPC
Grafter

1st Asus now Linksys (How many others)

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 1st Asus now Linksys (How many others)

I see a few Plusnet IP addresses in the list of IP addresses that have been infected Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I reported an issue that AVM (Fritz!Box) were aware of here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123597.0.html
apart from my inability to correctly paste two different things in one post they did seem to address the issue quickly.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A rather basic question - as I really don't know the answer - the latest problem appears to be related to remote access being allowed to the router.
How does does tie in with TR-069 as used by Plusnet, BT, Talk Talk, etc.
TORPC
Grafter

@Oldjim
A very valid point especially when TalkTalk started introducing a call back home to upgrade firmware etc back last year I think it was (not so sure of when BT started calling back home)
I still prefer to have the option to manually upgrade / downgrade the firmware as & when required
I know many out there wouldn't have a clue when you say I flashed the firmware today (They may  Embarrassed misconstrue it & call the Cops)   Lips are sealed
So for them they may need to rely on the ISP updating accordingly

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
A rather basic question - as I really don't know the answer - the latest problem appears to be related to remote access being allowed to the router.
How does does tie in with TR-069 as used by Plusnet, BT, Talk Talk, etc.

in a nutshell its the version of TR-069 and the way the code is miss-written that has caused the problem, anyone with an enabled router is at risk and it was one of many vulnerabilities that first cropped up with BT's V1.0 home hub, that necessitated the rollout of the V1.5 (because they needed to add some hardware to it)
the alarming thing is that certain companies are still doing the same thing nearly 10 years on from the first incidence
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

@nanotm
I am interested to learn more, have you got any links to some documentation, that I can squat up on Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: TORPC
@nanotm
................................, that I can squat up on Wink

You`ll be sitting down on the job, then  Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

Well I could be mobile with the Book reader =======> Bluetooth headset Wink
As per advice from some sensible members of the community Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

More news on the vulnerabilities
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26417441
Growing! Exploitation! of! Small! Office! Routers! Creating! Serious! Risks! PDF
Netgear was found to have a Backdoor in October 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24519307
D-Link has acknowledged the existence of the backdoor and said a fix would be available by the end of October.