cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st 100 Refugees Arrive In Scotland

Steve
Pro

1st 100 Refugees Arrive In Scotland

Glasgow and they were welcomed by the very best of British weather ( rain lol )
The group thought to be mainly families arrived at Glasgow Airport on the first of a series of charter flights expected in coming weeks. They are due to be resettled by local authorities across Scotland. The government has said 20,000 refugees will be resettled in the UK by 2020 - with 1,000 due to arrive by Christmas.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34839477
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: 1st 100 Refugees Arrive In Scotland

We have gone down the correct route of taking people direct from Syria following detailed assessments but the only thing I am unclear about is where the accommodation is, there is already a national shortage of houses and the additional money provided to councils to provide support will be limited to a few years.
This is not a rant about not allowing people to come but I simply cannot see where they will be able to live.
Steve
Pro

I am sure the Scottish government put up a new website a while back and asked the general public if they could and would  accommodate, i guess some people would of been more than happy to help so some might be going there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
We have gone down the correct route of taking people direct from Syria following detailed assessments

Given the current situation in france, that means nothing.
I'm all for helping people but this is being handled in the wrong way. Years ago we'd send in peace keeping forces to neutralise the threat and maintain stability in an unstable region so the locals could remain at home and have hope for their future and country.
Now its about bringing them here to help keep up the property values to avoid a collapse in the market.
Call me cynical if you want but you have to admit, our housing market is stretched, prices are higher than ever and the more people who are dependant on it, the safer the bet it is for those that own the property. You can't deny that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

in order to send in stabilising forces you require a UN mandate, the rules of what that force can do are very restrictive (zero combat operations, your there to observe and if you come under contact must extract) in the Balkans the problem could have bene cleared up in 18months with some proactive policing but the UN orders were to observe and report only so it dragged on for over a decade  with a handful of local police lead interventions with military backup and a handful of skirmishes which required un approval for continuous blatant violations (I first went there in 94 then 96 and again in 03 all under the UN stabilisation force mission before it got fully contracted out to PMC's in 0Cool 
that kind of thing alters lives in all the wrong ways both of the troops who are not allowed to intervene to those who are brutalised and murdered in their droves, no a war has to happen first to cleanse the region and that means evacuating to safe places those non combatants then once the fighting has done and you roll into a peace mission you relocate home all the displaced peoples complete with infrastructure rebuilding and its all very costly and takes a long time, look at Iraq as a prime example of a recent mission that went this way, a few months of "combat missions" followed by a decade of peace making and rebuilding, and then weak leaders pulled out before the job was finished, ok so there is much outrage about the validity of that war and as a result when the peacekeeping was nearing the midway point (which like any long term op is when tensions start to flare, which is much like marriage in the 7>15 year point)  they got jumpy and sacked it off (this cant be done if your part of a un mission though you also don't have to foot the entire manpower and financial bill as other nations take a turn at doing their bit for the greater good as well)
finding a safe place for those in need as you prosecute a war against the aggressors is a necessary step, due to having no such areas under our control in the region the only other step is to relocate them here for a limited time (anything over 2 years and there starts to become practical reasons for them not to return) there's no reason for them not to be held in a refugee centre though (and to be honest I cant understand why they don't reroll some empty buildings for that purpose) rather than forcing them to integrate with our society and then after a prolonged absence sending them home having become symbiotic and altered from their former lot in life, we after all have a vastly different way of life to that in the middle east (regardless of religion) and transitioning into our way of life will be a lot easier than trying to revert to the old way when the time comes...

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Finding a safe place for those in need as you prosecute a war against the aggressors is a necessary step,
In WW2 we interned foreign nationals whose country we were at war with to protect ourselves. We didn't distribute them around the country and hope things would be OK.
Given that one of the French terrorists entered as a refugee isn't it pretty clear what the risks are? Vetting doesn't mean a lot - these are experts in their 'field' that we are facing.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Now its about bringing them here to help keep up the property values to avoid a collapse in the market.

So we opt out of the (significantly higher) EU refugee quota, yet we still take a lower number of refugees to avoid a property collapse? Doesn't make a lot of sense...  Undecided
Steve
Pro

Quote from: quelquod
Given that one of the French terrorists entered as a refugee isn't it pretty clear what the risks are? Vetting doesn't mean a lot - these are experts in their 'field' that we are facing.
I face risks everyday, tomorrow I could get hit by a bus, have a car crash, risk? you face them everyday.
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: M
risk? you face them everyday.

Very few people, probably not even you Steve, take unquantified risks with their lives. You might consider how the general French public now view nominal Syrian refugee spreading randomly about their country. There's a big difference between taking a considered risk and having someone else risk your life for you.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
nanotm
Pro

its been said many times that refugees should be located in refugee camps until such time as they can return home, this protects both local populace and the refugees themselves, under UN rules your supposed to keep them safe, that's not possible if you don't know where they are a camp keeps them in one location, allows them to continue their cultural ways and to follow their own beliefs in happy seclusion. anyone who chooses to change status from refugee to asylum seeker or to seek to change citizenship is meant to be afforded that option and allowed to move out of the camp and fully integrate with the host nation following their laws and customs, but not prevented from retaining their own religion so long as it does not contravene local laws....
the methodology being utilised to grant safety to refugees currently fails on more counts than it doesn't and a big part of that is the perception of many that they either do or may present the same risks to life as the jihadists they claim to be running away from, which in turn ferments ill feeling towards them and makes them unsafe (regardless of the veracity of their claims to be victims in fear for their life) it would be a good thing if all 20k refugees the country has agreed to take were shipped here within a few weeks and setup in porta cabin or Nissan hut based encampments out in old military grounds well away from the local populace for the protection of both sides and to ensure that any disingenuous persons that might come with them are prevented form creating a public backlash with violence aimed indiscriminately at all refugees, better for all concerned and especially those in need of safe sanctuary!
that's not to disparage the efforts of all those involved in making or finding space to help the refugees that's a good thing but the national strategy seems to be woefully inadequate/
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
its been said many times that refugees should be located in refugee camps until such time as they can return home

Said by who? (no need to write a thesis in your response)
nanotm
Pro

A lot of people
Community Veteran

I believe most refugee camps are run by the UN, and they are temporary shelters to provide basic humanitarian assistance for displaced individuals where no other option exists. They are normally located very close to areas of conflict or humanitarian disasters, where large numbers of people have become displaced.
I do not think the UN advocates putting all refugees into camps, particularly when alternatives exist.
Community Veteran

Whilst I have no first hand knowledge of the vetting procedure I would think the government are being very careful who they let in direct from Syria and they will know who these people are and where they will be living.
The reason why I think the vetting procedure will be strict is imagine what would happen if a single person was allowed into the country and carried out some atrocity. The pressure on the government would be so great that plans to resettle any more would be stopped.
Your greatest concern should be about the many who have travelled across various countries in the EU with virtually no checks, if at some stage they are successful in applying for citizenship in any EU country that would give them the right to travel here without restriction.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: 7up

So we opt out of the (significantly higher) EU refugee quota, yet we still take a lower number of refugees to avoid a property collapse? Doesn't make a lot of sense...  Undecided
[/quote)
There are many things that affect the price of property, such as a shortage of property, people buying property as an investment, lack of suitable property such as ground floor property for some elderly or disabled folk but I cannot see that refugees will make much difference to the market