Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

1gbps connection over copper

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: 1gbps connection over copper

Yup, you read it right!
Plusnet why are you dragging your heels?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It might be worth noting the cable length before getting too excited.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Given that we already have 10GbE which can use either copper or fibre cabling this is hardly a major leap forwards.
nanotm
Pro

why bother making the report really when its nothing like close to speed achieved already
it is still a fraction of 1.4 terabits per second speed it achieved last November in a test carried out with BT over a fibre optic cable link running between London's BT Tower and a research campus in Suffolk
in a cheaper to operate medium .....

just because yank companies are crying at the thought of having to provide fibre there coming up with ways to cripple the end users ability to get a decent speed by sticking to existing often ancient cables that have barely been fit for the voice communications never mind data carriage for years .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Why would they want to cripple the end users ability to get a decent speed
So I guess they have not uprooted roads / paths / fields / pavements etc to install fibre optic cabling  cabinets etc
Thus replacing copper to the Cabinets
In time no doubt the copper cabling will be a thing of history & will be completely superseded by fibre
nanotm
Pro

cost would be a primary factor in why they monopolistic companies would do such a thing its relatively cheap to dig up a road and replace trunking cable but digging up gardens and entering homes to replace all that last mile stuff gets expensive mighty fast never mind replacing all the end connectors in a high rise
TORPC
Grafter

If VM can do it so could BT
Community Veteran

VM can't do it. VM bought up all the failing cable companies (Cable & Wireless, NTL (remember them?), Telewest, etc) and created a unified brand.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
nanotm
Pro

after many of them had achieved bankruptcy for failing to predict the cost of installing the equipment ....
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Given that we already have 10GbE which can use either copper or fibre cabling this is hardly a major leap forwards.

We use 100Gb over Fibre in work. So it's definitely old news!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Bell Labs said it used two pairs of 30m (98.4ft)-long standard phone cables to achieve the speed in its laboratory.
However, one analyst noted that the tech would not solve the problem of slow net speeds for many other users.
"The problem that rural properties have is that they are usually very far away from the nearest telephone exchange - you can usually measure it in miles," said Chris Green, principal technology analyst at the Davies Murphy Group consultancy.

My local Exchange is 400 metres away, in a rural location, and I regularly achieve download speeds of 19mb/s on Copper from the Exchange, so I don't think I'll be moving anytime soon !!!
Community Veteran

2015-2016 is when the next generation of FTTC (G.Fast) is expected to be become available commercially - http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/news/2014/alcatel-lucents-gfast-vectoring-trial-wins-telecomscom-award...
The problem is that you've still governed by the physical capabilities of copper telephone cabling, which sees significant drop offs over longer distances.
nanotm
Pro

that's why what there trying to do is somewhat pointless, in rurual areas as they admit the lines are likely to be thousands of feet long and in built-up areas the high rises have the same problem .....only suburbia will possibly see any benefit from any such technology where there all 2 story buildings at most .....
Community Veteran

@ PlusComUK - Are you on an exchange only line? Have any of your exchange cabinets been fibre upgraded?