Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1ft=1mtr.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

1ft=1mtr.

OH purchased 11ft of  some material yesterday, whilst I was elsewhere in the store not being interested in such things….

On the way back to the car I commented it must be good stuff as it was a fairly big parcel….

On arriving home it turns out she asked for 11ft and charged for that but the actual length was 11mtrs…..

Perhaps they only teach metric in schools these days so some do not know the difference between the two….

Not complaining as it will keep my OH busy for a long time.

Had it been a small shop we would have gone back but it was a very large store and some considerable distance away so….will just have to live with the guilt.

😀

We are born into history and history is born into us.
18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Re: 1ft=1mtr.

When we first went metric our local timber merchant couldn't get his head around it so started selling wood by what he called metric feet, which was 300mm. So a 2.4m length of timber was 8 metric feet long.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Yeah... and the big discrepancy is when you go for a length of timber .... you can ask for.... and get... a length of 2" by 2"... but it only comes in 3 mtr lengths ! ....

however... apparently there is some movement afoot ( no intended pun) ! ... to revert back to pints , inches, and pounds...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1448954/brexit-news-metric-system-imperial-measures-pounds-i...

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 80

I am probably one of a dying breed, but have no problem working in either. When I first started work, we still did all calculations in imperial - which was a bit of a pain with lumps (BIG lumps) of steel/alloys, but as we bought more plant/machinery from abroad, we gradually switched to metric - obviously easier to use if you are using a base-10 calculator.

However, I still find it easier to visualise most things in imperial - so use the rough conversion factors - 40"=1m, 1pint = 560ml, 1km =5/8mile &c to 'know' what I am looking at.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:

Yeah... and the big discrepancy is when you go for a length of timber .... you can ask for.... and get... a length of 2" by 2"... but it only comes in 3 mtr lengths ! ....

Yes, but the big gotcha is it might say 2x2" on the label but the metric equivalent rarely equals that. More like 47mm and if you have got a piece of 'real' 2 by 2, the difference between the two really does show when laid side by side.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@idonno   

well, it would do.... cos 2" is actually 50.8mm   Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

I'm surprised your other half did not say something as it was being measured out for cutting as that's quite a difference. Afraid to mention it perhaps?

My brain is hardwired to feet and inches and I cannot trust myself with metric at all and always double check with my Mrs, but for some reason three feet (as near as damn it) always sticks in my head as one metre but that might have something to do with it being equal to one yard. At least we don't have to scratch our heads any more with those they used to print at the back of our old school exercise books. I still despair at the memory of nails, hands, rods, chains, links.... 

Metric is easier and simpler if you know it, but get it wrong and you get it wrong big (and sometimes short) time.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

As you know, I complain a lot about people not social distancing.  Perhaps your OH's experience explains why.  There are notices displayed giving the required social distance in metric and imperial units but how many people notice them and understand them?  I remember a TV programme many years ago asking people in the street what 5% APR meant; a worryingly large number thought it meant the interest rate was 5% in April.  Education, education, education.  What went wrong?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Jonpe wrote:

As you know, I complain a lot about people not social distancing.  Perhaps your OH's experience explains why.

Over the past year or so, I'm more and more convinced that at least half the population haven't a clue what 2 metres looks like.

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well if they don't by now they never will! 😎

Thomas A. Edison
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You do have to wonder though.

E3uAOeAVIAcFgg_.jpg

Thomas A. Edison
Jonpe
Hero

@198kHz wrote:

at least half the population haven't a clue what 2 metres looks like.

Even when there are discs stuck to the floor the required distance apart, too many people just stand between the discs, i.e. about one metre from the person in front.

Luzern
Hero

@198kHz wrote:

Over the past year or so, I'm more and more convinced that at least half the population haven't a clue what 2 metres looks like.

Social distancing for the 2 meterists.

party.gif

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

It's all in the spelling, those are meters.

No wonder people will still be confused. 😁

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

I love sunflowers, they're big, bold and colourful. (the spell checker doesn't agree)

Two years ago I got the metric conversion wrong, the 3ft max height topped the garage at 12 ft.

A year ago I got the metric conversion wrong again, the 3ft max height topped the fence at 6 ft.

This year I was sitting in the garden centre complete with tape measure, calculator, paper and pencil and I reckon I've got it right. Currently they're about six inches high, time will tell.....