cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just got Martin`s moneysaving email.... and cancelled 1571 with BT.... they started charging for it last Saturday...

BT customers began being charged for its previously-free 1571 answerphone and caller display services on Saturday.
So opt out now if you have either of these services and don't use them, or you'll be charged £1.75/month for each – that's £42/year for both.

To opt out.... go to https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/orderproduct?productId=CON-27455&produ...
enter your phone number and post code, then scroll down the list ....
8 REPLIES
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: 1571

SMH, this is why I moved to Talk Talk for my Land line services years ago.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This is pure corporate greed by BT. It costs them virtually nothing to provide the service. On my main Vonage  account there are no charges for supplementary services and the calls are cheaper with no call setup.
Unless every BT customer reacts by cancelling 1571 BT will believe they've got away with it.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

more worrying is the change to caller display and charging for it than the free voicemail service (which never quite worked properly) CLID was one of the main things that lets you screen calls from people, the best thing about a mobile is CLID, if they also follow suit and start charging for the service a lot of people are going to be unhappy with their service provider ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I've just checked my Mum's BT account and it says Caller Display is included at no additional charge with existing Line Rental Saver. I don't know if this will apply to anyone taking LRS from now on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Might change when the existing "contract" runs out... e.g... at the end of the 12 months line saver contract ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There has been some suggestion that BT have paid such an enormous amount of money for the right to screen football for several years they need to get in as much money as possible to cover the cost.
I Understand that PN are owned by BT and hope the cost for their decision does not cost us more.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: alanf
I've just checked my Mum's BT account and it says Caller Display is included at no additional charge with existing Line Rental Saver. I don't know if this will apply to anyone taking LRS from now on.

A pity I didn't take a screen print of that! Mum has just been billed for Caller Display. It now says the charge can be avoided with a *new* 12 month contract. As she has already paid LRS, even if she got a pro rata rebate, she would then be paying a higher LRS charge in order to "save" on Caller ID.  What a racket! I'll now do a review to find out if she would be better off without Anytime Calls to see if I can save her some money in another way.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've opted out the 1571 service.
I am back to using my answering machine inbuilt to my cordless phones.
Best thing is that they are free to run and use a personal message greeting.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up