cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 mistakes in 52 words...

Fixes: 125

15 mistakes in 52 words...

Council education message has 15 mistakes in 52 words
However, a message about free student bus passes from Suffolk County Council contained no fewer than 15 mistakes in just 52 words.
The eight line memo, posted on a school coach, had 13 unnecessary capital letters and the word "their" is spelled incorrectly twice as "there".

A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: “Although this is a message from Suffolk County Council the text was not written or approved by the council in this instance.
“It was put together and put up by Ipswich buses and should have been approved by us. Ipswich buses is a private company that we use to run our services and which we subsidise.”

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: 15 mistakes in 52 words...

Quote from: Mav

A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: “Although this is a message from Suffolk County Council the text was not written or approved by the council in this instance.
“It was put together and put up by Ipswich buses and should have been approved by us. Ipswich buses is a private company that we use to run our services and which we subsidise.”

Which, simply means.... we haven`t got any one educated enough on Suffolk County Council, that can read and correct such mistakes....
No wonder that the county revels in it`s name of  " Silly Suffolk"..... TRUE.. Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have a similar story, but from someone who should know better !
At the local primary school, where my children attend, the new headmaster likes to keep parents informed of his latest big ideas, snow reports, and forthcoming events, by frequent emails.
Unfortunately, his spelling and grammar are often of a very similar standard to that in the above article.
It would not be unusual to find half a dozen spelling mistakes, unfinished sentences, or dare I say it "school boy" errors in grammar, in just a two or three line message.
There are often other problems as well, such as links to non-existent websites, file attachments being empty or in .docx format that a lot of parents can't open, as well as many other similar issues.
I am dismayed in the obviously hurried and unchecked nature of these messages, especially if that is a reflection on the quality of teaching today.

Angry  3/10 - could do better !!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: purleigh

I am dismayed in the obviously hurried and unchecked nature of these messages, especially if that is a reflection on the quality of teaching today.

Angry  3/10 - could do better !!!

So.... why not send the above quote back to him when you get messages like that....
It could "shake him up"... and produce better quality emails, OR... it could reduce the "spam" he is sending out considerably, as he stops sending the stuff because he has been shamed !.
You would complain if your local garage could not replace a light bulb properly,... so what is wrong in complaining about the headmasters use of basic english language skill.
Fixes: 125

I think spell-checkers are somewhat to blame as a word spelt correctly but in the wrong context or case wouldn't necessarily be highlighted unless you have a program that offers grammatical corrections as well.
It appears that some people rely on these far too much without properly checking their own work. You can see it daily in newspapers and magazines.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@shutter - I will give it some thought, and in the meantime collect together a few of his prize cock-ups as examples.
Unfortunately I would have to put it in a letter, as the emails are sent from some centralised automated server that is unrelated to the school and does not accept replies, and of course there are no contact/reply details in any of the messages !.
On the bright side, my son will be moving up to secondary school this summer !
Community Veteran

My son bought me a book entitled "I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar" - He knows me so well!
John