cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£145!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

£145!

When you get a quote on moneysupermarket for your car insurance they pre-fill some bits in for you. One being the so called trade value of your car.

Which is where the £145 comes in.

Yes I know it's a fifteen year old Clio but who's kidding who here. As far as I can see the age is a bit irrelevant. Even if it was twenty five years old where could you get an MOTeed car in good running order for £145?

I'm assuming that the trade value is that because no one in the mainstream trade would want it. Not that anyone would ever accept that.

A bit like these buy your old mobile phone sites. Where my phone would be a not really wanted couple of pound piece of old tat. While on the sale page it would be described as a chance to buy a vintage phone at the give away price of £75.

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Re: £145!

@billnotben wrote: where could you get an MOTeed car in good running order for £145?

Try this place .....

EVERY ONE A GO-ER!.png

Community Veteran

Most definitely but it would likely be...

an MOTeed car in good running order for £145

In a charity shop last week someone was trying on a coat like Arthur. It fit perfectly but when he asked his mate what he thought he said "you look like a dodgy used car salesman".

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It's how they work, and in my experience they are more often than not divorced from reality - and have you noticed how quick they are these days to write cars off? Days were when even a half decent bump or scrape would be repaired but not now it seems. So either the body shops are taking the piddle, the insurance company, or both.

They'd laugh in my face I'm sure if wanted even a crumpled bumper or a cracked headlight sorted on my ten year old Fiesta, and whilst I do appreciate it's a constant battle between them and fraudsters, that's no reason for them to take the money and run from genuine and honest motorists.

Thank heaven for my bus pass backup. Thumbs Up

P.S. Re: Those costs. Used to see those dodgy dealers in and around Warren Street in north London only then, as well as that trilby they'd be wearing a sheepskin coat. Must have been all that hanging around at car auctions they did!

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@billnotben

Make sure you do not have a accident as most companies expect you to pay the first £ 200 of any claim.

My own car is 14 years old but I have no idea what they value it at, as long as it goes and costs me little or nothing in repairs I will keep it going.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

My car insurance is around £150 a year and I pay this not to have any sort of accident cover, but just to comply with the law.

I do not expect them to pay out a penny for anything but, these guys have us over a barrel if we want to drive. Other than dump the car and opt for the bus our only choice is to pay or not to pay and expect nothing in return other than a piece of paper and our compliance details on a computer linked into those ANPR spy cameras.  

Quite honestly from looking forward to retirement, I sometimes look forward to not having a car but there you go, we are all hooked on the convenience of the damn things. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.