cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11+

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

11+

There was a page of questions in todays mail taken from genuine 11+ questions that determined if you got to grammar school years ago..

I failed that exam, no idea what my score would have been, had a go at questions in the paper and failed that big time as well, even the ones with various shapes and you find the missing one I got wrong, so clearly no improvement over the years, quite likely I got a higher score when I was 11.

14 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: 11+

Life can deal some terrible hands. As a schoolboy back in the late 50s I was expected to pass my eleven plus with ease, but that was until my 'parents' decided to pull me out of the children's home I had always been in and bring me down from Lancashire to suburban Surrey three weeks before the exam and against the advice of the housemaster. I failed miserably of course as the curriculum (let alone going to a new school with a 'funny' accent) was utterly and totally different.

As a latter day mature student I went on to obtain a degree and even lectured for a while but it was a long hard slog after leaving what was then called a Secondary Modern school with little more than a certificate in inferiority. Factory fodder they used to call us, how wonderful was that eh?

Philip Larkin anybody?     

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@gleneagles

" Tries hard....... but could do better  "     Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

Better than one I had - "seems rather vague at times". I was so pleased to show it to my mother as I thought in meant 'artistic' - my Dad just smacked me round the head!  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
nadger
Rising Star

I took, and passed, 11+ back in 1946.

In those days there were grammar, secondary modern and also technical colleges.

I recall some people being upgraded to grammar school after about 2 years if they were doing very well at another school.

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, but that depended on where the school was and if like mine it was stuck on a Council house estate there was little if any enthusiasm from either teachers or parents. Very hard to jump out of that goldfish bowl of insularity.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

gleneagles wrote:

There was a page of questions in todays mail taken from genuine 11+ questions that determined if you got to grammar school years ago..

I failed that exam, no idea what my score would have been, had a go at questions in the paper and failed that big time as well, even the ones with various shapes and you find the missing one I got wrong, so clearly no improvement over the years, quite likely I got a higher score when I was 11.

I was a child of a hospital gardener and his wife who did sewing for it, so in no way superior. I passed the test in 1947 and went on to get as far as A Levels.

I hope I can find those tests, but am apprehensive I could do them now.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

@gleneagles

" Tries hard....... but could do better  "     Cheesy

The comments on my report were, " Could do better if he tried "

I Hated school as most of the staff appeared to have little interest or ability to teach and in fairness some of the pupils were disruptive despite the cane being used on regular occasions.

I did end up starting an apprentship in a local firm and thus joined the factory fodder along with most of my friends but health reasons forced a change of jobs and things worked out really well for me in the end, so no regrets.

I was born in Lancashire and no intention of moving elsewhere.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

I Hated school as most of the staff appeared to have little interest or ability to teach and in fairness some of the pupils were disruptive despite the cane being used on regular occasions.

I was born in Lancashire and no intention of moving elsewhere.

The headmaster of my primary school was a Lancastrian, he had a wonderful accent and I can still hear his voice clearly in my memories now. He was a wonderful man, committed christian, big on charity and ended up with an OBE. Sadly he was killed in a traffic accident a decade ago but he was absolutely brilliant.

He used to tell tales of his days at school which would have been around 1934 onwards.. where they'd get the ruler over the knuckles or the cane - yes, that was still legal back then. I shudder to think how much some of the boys must have dreaded school back then.

Like you glen, I dreaded school. Not only was home life with my one screwed up parent very hard but I was disadvantaged and despite not being a naughty boy, the teachers used to see me as a trouble maker because I'd slipped behind thanks to a lot of parent induced absence from school. I was off once for six weeks while my crazy parent basically dossed at their mates flat with me. I went back and not only got the biggest campaign of hatred from the teacher ever, I wasn't able to get help to catch up. This was a regular occurence though - the first six week spell away was when I was five. I went to another primary temporarily and thats where the bullying started.. then went back to my school where it continued. Until that point, I'd never been bullied but it screwed up the rest of my education along with the big gaps away from school. After that I'd pretty much given up.. and for someone at the age of 5 or 6 who should be looking forward to the life ahead of then, thats not good.

Then I ended up in HER class, who we shall call Mrs A. Now the teacher I had before her was known as the school dog (Mrs H) but she was actually wonderful and I got on with her reasonably well for a "lazy" child but when I was in Mrs A's class life became an utter misery and I ended up having a breakdown at the age of 9 thanks to a parent who was then whacking me with the wooden spoon as punishment for not doing well at school - which was their flaming fault in the first place. Add to that Mrs A simply disliking me and giving me a D for everything (even stuff I was good at) and my backside used to be red daily. I look back now and realise that it was actually child abuse. Even my GP had strong concerns against Mrs A - his own children had both endured her class and he had a lot of his own negative tales of her to tell. I look back and realise that he knew what I was going through at school.

My final year wasn't as bad - I ended up in a class with Mr G as a teacher. He was wonderful, very positive but even he couldn't bring me up to date with what I'd missed out on. It's ironic that the first and last teachers at that school were the best to me.

Unfortunately it didn't really improve for me after primary. Secondary was just as difficult, with a harsh home life and a parent who was crazy in the head. It never really got better until I started work.. but even then my parent was robbing me blind of my wage packet (I'd earn £500 a month and see £25). So I left home.. with nothing but debt and misery to look forward to. No overtime, no way of getting out of the **** and no opportunity to get anywhere in life, my income barely covered my basic living expenses. Then the bad health came along... it's been a living nightmare.

I'm mid 30s now, still stuck in the brown stuff and still struggling to feel happy once a week. It won't get any better now.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I didn't do the 11+ 

From my school report

"He has no trouble achieving the incredibly low standard he sets himself"

Community Veteran

@7up

sorry to hear about your problems, reminds me of a program titled, " Give me a child until he is 7 and I will give you the man."

Much of what happens to you in childhood affects the rest of your life, my daughter worked in a childrens home for a few years and said it was heartbraking to watch some children at the window waiting for their parent(s) to visit them but staff were aware that the parent(s) were not coming as time in the pub, doing drugs, or other things were more important.

We can often be quick to judge people about their behaviour, perhaps in many cases it can be explained by their childhood.

Community Veteran

When I was entering the penultimate year of primary school you had two attempts to take the 11+ once in the penultimate year and then in the final year of primary school.  The teachers didn't teach you how to pass exams in our primary school. During the first attempt I passed the "intelligence exam" but failed the general paper.  The following year I was able to pass both parts so went off to the local grammar school.  My primary school headmaster had such belief in my capabilities that he told my mum (within my earshot) that I had little chance of passing the 11+ exam.

I've never trusted teacher assessment since that day.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

My mum left school at 12 due to WW2 and being evacuated and my dad was not an educated person but was at the top of his trade as a toolmaker.

I passed my 11+ in 1971 and went to a local grammar school. I was 3rd from the top in my primary school but never got higher than 20th in exam results at the grammar as most of the other boys' parents were teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc.

Still managed to pass 7 'O' Levels including As and BsCool

A link to some 11 Plus questions the OP was alluding to

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

my daughter worked in a childrens home for a few years and said it was heartbraking to watch some children at the window waiting for their parent(s) to visit them but staff were aware that the parent(s) were not coming as time in the pub, doing drugs, or other things were more important.

Oh thats just nasty! When I was a kid I thought the world of my parent despite what they put me through... I kept believing what I was told and that things would one day get better etc... yeah right.

Now I'm a dad myself and my little lad is incredible. I feel guilty dropping him off at nursery not just because i miss him but because i know he gets scared and worries about me returning to pick him up - the staff have come close to forcing me away when i drop him off. I don't know how some people can treat little people with so little respect like you describe. I didn't want kids but now I have one I find that it's a wonderful experience and I'm lucky to have him. I don't know why other people treat treat their children with such contempt - they're young, inexperienced, aren't at fault for existing, instinctively love their parents and yet they get treated like they're worthless.

It's wrong. Very wrong.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Just as sad as those people who would love to have children but unable to do so due to medical reasons and those people who do not want children but have them by failing to take the necessary precautions.

I wonder what percentage of the population are here more by accident than planning ?