cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10GB Useage Allowance totally unrealistic

keithatmoleend

10GB Useage Allowance totally unrealistic

I have  been a Plusnet customer for just over two months now. My broadband appears stable although my average download speed is slightly lower than my previous ISP. I find your main website unwieldy to navigate. All I want from Plusnet is a reliable,  fast as possible download speed and able to perform daily tasks that the internet now provides at a competitive price. I think you will agree the internet is now influencing our lifestyle more and more. I personally bank on line and manage all my finances on line. I Shop on line and keep updated with current affairs on line. In addition I have Apple TV which enables me to download videos for rent and access a whole variety of media via the internet, including video on demand. My Humax PVR allows me to access BBC and ITV iPlayers, both of course via the internet. These resources have become a feature of our technological age and daily use.
The point I am coming to is that the 10GB "Useage Allowance" is outdated and totally unrealistic.
A fairer more realistic useage allowance would be 20GB. I have now exceeded this amount (at an extra cost) and feel that perhaps Plusnet does not after all provide me with the product I originally sought. Sad
149 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Re: 10GB Useage Allowance totally unrealistic

Given the description of our usage I would agree that 10gb may not be enough, however if asked I don't think we'd ever recommend the 10gb per month value package to anyone wanting to use their connection in the way you've mentioned.
To be more specific it does sound like that the heaviest part of your usage would be downloading and streaming videos.
The point I am coming to is that the 10GB "Useage Allowance" is outdated and totally unrealistic.

Everyone uses the internet in a different way and from what you've mentioned I'm not sure you are using the most appropriate package for what you want to do.
I'm not trying to upsell you for the sake of it but I wanted to mention in case you were unaware that we have the Extra package too with a 60gb monthly allowance, have you considered this?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you are going to go over 10GB every month upgrade to Extra and get an increase of 50GB allowance for the same monthly cost as buying one 5GB block.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

To expand on what Adam said. From the Plusnet home page, when you click the Find out more... for each product.
[quote=Plusnet Value]What can you do with 10GB? You can...
    Surf as much as you like
    Send and receive 6,000 emails
    View 5 hours of iPlayer
    Download over 500 songs

[quote=Plusnet Extra]What can you do with 60GB? You can...
    Surf as much as you like
    Send and receive 6,000 emails
    Download 6,000 songs
    Download 20hrs of iPlayer content in High Definition
    Watch 30 hours of video on YouTube
    Play over 80 hours of online games

If you are accessing more than 5 hours SD video per month, there is no way in a million years you should have expected Value to be suitable to your needs!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: keithatmoleend
I have  been a Plusnet customer for just over two months now. My broadband appears stable although my average download speed is slightly lower than my previous ISP. I find your main website unwieldy to navigate.

I bookmark any useful PlusNet webpages, to help in navigation, as I came across them in the early days.
Here's just my main ones, out of a selection of 50+

What speed did you have before, and what do you get now with PN ?
Admittedly I am only 466 metres from my local BT Exchange, on copper, consistently over 16.5mb/s

Quote from: jelv
If you are going to go over 10GB every month upgrade to Extra and get an increase of 50GB allowance for the same monthly cost as buying one 5GB block.

I too use BBC iPlayer, but I download in the unlimited overnight period, around 5gb per night average, and watch off-line.
I manage to come in under 10gb a month, aided by a spreadsheet which keeps a running total and expected usage in the month.
It is a pity the other channels don't allow us to download and watch off-line, I found SKY GO useless, it kept crashing on me, mac OSX
Apart from Apple TV downloads, my usage seems quite similar to yours, inc updating many CA webpages each day.
keithatmoleend

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Given the description of our usage I would agree that 10gb may not be enough, however if asked I don't think we'd ever recommend the 10gb per month value package to anyone wanting to use their connection in the way you've mentioned.
To be more specific it does sound like that the heaviest part of your usage would be downloading and streaming videos.

Everyone uses the internet in a different way and from what you've mentioned I'm not sure you are using the most appropriate package for what you want to do.
I'm not trying to upsell you for the sake of it but I wanted to mention in case you were unaware that we have the Extra package too with a 60gb monthly allowance, have you considered this?

Thank you and PlusComUK and jelv for their quick responses.  I am not in front of my Macintosh iMac all day. I attend to my emails from friends/contacts around 7.30am for an hour or so daily. I check what is going on in the world via BBC News. I have only downloaded two movies from the iTunes Store via Apple TV and watched Question Time once from BBC1 via the BBC iPlayer. I have also tried to source a piece of Stuart Glass Crystal but without success. I do not engage in "playing games" or gaming. I again log on about lunch time to catch up and again at tea time but for no longer than 30 minutes at the most on each occasion.  I shut down my iMac between use but leave my router on (I own my own Netgear router and do not use the router provided by Plusnet). I was advised to leave my router switched on by Plusnet shortly after joining.  I live about two miles or so from my local telephone exchange so I am aware this will have a significant effect on speed. I used to have a download connection speed, consistently of around 4.6kbps but now it has dropped to around 3.9kbps.  I appreciate all suggestions and comments. I am now considering the extra 50gb allowance to avoid further problems and expense.
Community Veteran

2 x 30 minutes watching news per day, 5 days per week = 20 hours per month. I'm afraid that's way outside the spec. for Value.
Value is only suitable for occasional streaming use - i.e. people who usually watch tele on the tele!
nadger
Rising Star

Value with 10Gb does exactly what it says on the tin and I, for one, have no problem staying inside the limit.
With Freesat, Freeview and a pvr my streaming requirements are minimal but, should they increase, there's always Extra for another fiver per month.
keithatmoleend

I have now upgraded to the Broadband Extra Package and received an apology from Plusnet for them not determining the best suitable package on joining them.
JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I think the Plusnet usage guide is helpful, but could be improved. It's not immediately obvious (to me at least!  Roll eyes) that the lists represent the sum total of all those individual activities rather than being a choice of any one of them to keep you within limits.
That being so, it would be helpful if the average bandwidth was shown against each individual activity so that those who, for example, only send/receive 3000 emails but download 1000 songs can more easily calculate their likely usage.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know where you were looking for Stuart Crystle, come up with this lot in less than 10 seconds (and I am on Value)

Stuart crystal
www.discontinueddesigns.co.uk/category.aspx?categoryid=5
Stuart crystal The Stuart story started in 1827 when eleven year old Frederick Stuart was sent to work at the Redhouse Glassworks on the 'crystal mile', an area ...
Stuart Crystal Glass Drinking Glasses
www.havens.co.uk/glassware/drinking-glasses/brand/stuart/
Special Offers on Stuart Cut Crystal Glass Wine and Tumblers Drinking Glasses and Free Standard UK Delivery.
Shopping results for Stuart Glass Crystal

Stuart Crystal - Shaftesbury - Goblet (Pair)
£44.00 - David Shuttle
Set of 3 Stuart lead crystal Sherry glasses CLTMS21
£49.00 - iAuctionShop
Stuart Crystal - Madison - Goblet (Pair)
£85.00 - David Shuttle
Stuart Crystal | Stuart Glass | Stuart Crystal UK | Stuart Crystal ...
www.davidshuttle.com/products/stuart_crystal/468/
Buy Stuart Crystal online at Discount - UK Store - David Shuttle Ltd.
Stuart Glass & Crystal
www.chinamatchers.co.uk/Stuart-Glass-Crystal_B231DE.aspx
Stuart Glass & Crystal. Search by manufacturer below.... Select... Collectors & Limited Edition Plates, China & Pottery, Cutlery & Crystal, China & Pottery Specials ...
Waterford Crystal Royal Crown Derby gifts for women and men.
www.gifts-are-us.co.uk/
Manufacturers of fine lead crystal glass since 1881. For Stuart Crystal wine glasses, bowls, vases, photo frames, and decanters. In Shaftesbury and Cascade ...
Stuart Crystal from Crystal-Awards-Supplier.co.uk
www.crystal-awards-supplier.co.uk/stuart-crystal.php
Stuart Crystal is one of the best known quality crystal brands in English glass making. It was originally based in Stourbridge in the west midlands, the heartland ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Moderators Note
This is not Chit Chat and just because the poster mentioned that was trying to find a specific piece of Stuarts Crystal is no reason to post loads of generic links to Stuarts Crystal.
I am still trying to decide whether to move this off topic post over to Chit Chat - however as I am feeling generous at the moment and as it looks as though the problem is solved I have left it
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The issue really depends on whether people watch video much. I came here last year from Orange where I was constantly having to be careful of not watching video for fear of hitting my 2GB cap.
Here, on the 10GB Value service, though I do watch the odd view on news articles or Youtube these days, my usage is still only around 3-4GB and that's with quite extensive use of the internet on forums, eBay, etc each evening - and more than I'd like at weekends.
I think more emphasis needs to be placed on the substantial impact watching things like iPlayer can have. I've only downloaded one programme which I missed to record on my PVR in error and hence that was the only option since it wasn't repeated. I did it overnight and it was around 700MB for a one hour programme (and I had to do it twice since it turned out DRM wasn't enabled by default on my computer). Hence it's clear that even doing that only every other day or so during "peak" time would soon eat up the 10GB allowance.
Another isolated problem that was eating up allowance at a high rate was setting my computer clock inadvertently about 2 weeks into the future. My virus programme kept trying to download updates that weren't available! My daily usage shot up from around 100MB to 800MB!
Heloman
Grafter

I agree with the previous poster, drj.
I do online banking, shopping etc and spend a lot of time on forums and newsgroups. Being a Linux fan, I often download ISOs.
Occasionally I'll watch streaming video, but only in short bursts.
My usage is also normally about 3-4 GB. Only once have I ever come near the 10GB limit.
I think Value is ideal for people like me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Even better for me with a zero price cap  Grin Grin