Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100Mb DSL - Conservatives

David_W
Rising Star

100Mb DSL - Conservatives

An interesting proposal from the Conservatives:
Link
100Mb to the "Majority" of the country with the licence fee from the BBC being used to fund rural expansion, so instead of the BBC getting the 3.5% back from digital switch over, it gets spent on upgrading the country to fibre.
£3.4billion comes from licence fee, so 3.5% of that is about £122m per year to upgrade rural areas, a much nicer plan than a 50p tax on everyones phone line.  With a timeline of 2017, the next decade could be really interesting for DSL, although by the time we all get 100Mb, countries like Japan will probably be trialing 10Gb internet access!
Also something to think about, I was chatting to an American not long ago and he was talking about getting fibre from his telco which included TV, Phone and 24Mb fibre, except the 24Mb is a "shared" connection (whatever that means) so he doesn't get 24Mb.  I asked him "how much?" he said "$240" I said "per year?" he said "per month".  I think I made him cry when I pointed out that Sky will give you TV, 20Mb internet and phone calls for around £50/month.  How much would you be willing to pay for 100Mb fibre+TV+phone?
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: 100Mb DSL - Conservatives

$240 = £150.164p Per Month ! !  WOW !.... Roll eyes
I would suspect that by "shared connection" the allowance is shared between all three services TV, Phone, AND Internet usage.... !  which means instead of the company "capping" your usage, you had better watch less TV and make less phone calls if you want to use the internet ! ! !... Not a very good idea !..... But then, they are American !  Roll eyes
David_W
Rising Star

I believe it's shared as in, many people share the connection to the speed they achieve isn't 24Mb, it's 24mb/7 or something like that.
I'm interested now, so lets see, AT&T offer "super fast elite connection" of 6mb... for $35/month, but that's not going to be fibre.
Verizon offer Phone+TV+3Mb internet for $89.88/month or 15Mb for $109pm (2 year contract, goodness - without movie channels)
Time Warner seem odd.  $40 for basic internet with $15 for wireless(?) $60 for digital basic and $40 for phone, $155/month?  Way more if you want to add premium content.
Maybe in the US the cost you pay is based on your location, like we have market 1/2/3, they have a similar pricing structure?  I dunno, makes me very happy that after years of having to pay for internet access through phone calls, we're now paying way less when the Americans could have free local calls Cheesy  But does make me worry about how much Fibre is going to cost us over here.
johpal
Grafter

Fool's gold!  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Back in the early 1990's I was paying £85 pound per month (plus VAT) for a 1.0mb line, unlimited upload and download on a dedicated line, plugged into a terminal server, (then serial connection to a couple of PC's), well before dialup was available in my area.  It was well maintained, any hitch and a BT engineer was at the door within a couple of hours (day, night or weekend)
I now get 1.5mb (about - with not much chance of improvement), now costs £15 per month with plusnet.
Guess I'd be willing to pay £85 per month for good well supported reliable bandwidth
Community Veteran

I guess the good support bit is what BT's Enhanced Care is for (it's also available via PN for what it's worth), although I'm not sure even that's as good as the service you describe.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
100Mb to the "Majority" of the country

Finland  are rolling out 100MB to every home, expect to be complete by 2015, (currently 1MB is scheduled for completion in 2010).
Access to BroadBand is considered a legal right. http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2009/10/finland_broadba.html
But then they also manage to keep the roads clear of snow Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
But then they also manage to keep the roads clear of snow Wink

Don't you believe it.
I've spent most of the afternoon at some friends where the wife is scandinavian (I won't name the country).
She has a lot of relatives across the whole region who've been completely cut off for several days now due to the weather.
And what about all those hundreds of road accidents in Germany in recent days?
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
... a much nicer plan than a 50p tax on everyones phone line. 

Is it. Odd, so you are happy for money from a service which you do pay for and use to be siphoned off and used on an upgrade another group of people. This is a tax on the BBC to make up for the poor historical investments made by BT. Huh!
I am one of the people that will benefit from this though, so whichever way it happens I am not fussed. Of course I already pay over the odds on a Market1 exchange and will do so for te foreseeable future.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
alanf
Aspiring Pro

There's a kind of logic to it. The added investment will allow people in remote areas to watch via iPlayer (and the like). The rural communities have been paying for  TV licences which has been funding a service that they themselves have not been able to take full advantage of. So in that sense it makes sense to tax TV viewers rather than telephone users. Since most people have both phones and TVs I don't suppose it makes much odds.
I think that the best plan is for any funding to come from general taxation (based on income). Flat fees hit the poorest most. 
David_W
Rising Star

I think it works because it's not an additional taxation.  Labour want to add 50p/month to everyone with a landline, which directly takes money of everyones pocket and pays BT to do their job for them (BT should be investing in their networks).  Conservatives want to take away BT's monopoly at the exchange allowing any company to invest in fibre using BT's exchanges, and for exchanges that are not viable they will use licence fee money which is already being set aside for digital switch-over to fund rural exchanges, so it's not more taxation for everyone.
Conservatives want everyone to have access to 100Mb internet access by 2017, that is going to be expensive, by opening up the networks (though not sure how it's different from LLU, maybe someone can explain) they err, bring in competition at areas which are already market 3, market 1 will *never* have competition, there isn't the incentive to lay down LLU, so if the 3.5% taxation is an open kitty where any company can say "ok, give us cash and we'll put down fibre in X exchange which is market 1" that can only be a good thing, the current 50p on everything goes straight into BT's pocket with BT owning the fibre and BT controlling the fibre.
It may also offer Virgin an incentive to invest Cable in market 1/2's (if they offer 100Mb's) which introduces competition to Sky (I can get neither Sky nor Virgin, no dish allowed).  Although Sky may take up the offer to invest in IPTV, Sky over Fibre rather than dish which could shake up the TV scene too, 100Mb can easily handle HDTV and if Sky owns the fibre then there are no limits, whilst BT have a track record of costing per Gb.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

ER!..... Excuse me....................... but don`t BT make some disgustingly high profit every second of the day? or have they forgotten about that bit?  Undecided
Community Veteran

Saw this described by George Osbourne yesterday on Andrew Marr.  It sounds an interesting idea and one that has lots of benefits. 
Community Veteran

Don't you believe it.

@HP fair comment:  Got an email from a norwegian colleague about  Lofoton being without electricity http://www.norwaypost.no/content/view/22977/26/
Quote from: shutter
ER!..... Excuse me....................... but don`t BT make some disgustingly high profit every second of the day? or have they forgotten about that bit?  Undecided

...........but wasn't it also the conservative government who 'sold off'' the 3rd Generation Phone licences for billions of £ with the promise of putting a serious Network infrastructure in place to take the UK into the 21st Century.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
...........but wasn't it also the conservative government who 'sold off'' the 3rd Generation Phone licences for billions of £ with the promise of putting a serious Network infrastructure in place to take the UK into the 21st Century.

Not according to this article.  The sale was concluded in 2000 when Labour was in power.
Selloff