Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 year old Drivers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: 100 year old Drivers

Quote from: PlusComUK
Quote from: PlusComUK

Personally, I think a compulsory practical Driving and Eyesight Test is essential, for say over 70's.

I will clarify that to be for over 80's

I'd say you're wrong. Cars are killing machines. From the age of 70 you're at far higher risk of heart attack, stroke etc etc etc. Yes the risk is even higher from 80 but at 70 the state needs to start keeping an eye on your ability to remain safe on the road before its too late.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

the figures are accidents per mile so overall mileage travelled is already taken into account
The bit I was refering to was this from the report
However, since drivers at either end of the age range drive far fewer miles than those in between, researchers have questioned the equality of those "average miles" across age groups. Unlike younger and older drivers, drivers in the intermediate age groups travel a sizeable proportion of their annual miles on expressways and other inter-city roadways. These types of roads typically offer fewer hazards than do roads in urban areas. Most of the miles driven by younger and older drivers involve congested areas and heavy concentrations of intersections that offer relatively more opportunities for conflict with pedestrians and other vehicles.
In relation to the risk of heart attacks etc. then driving tests will be of no relevance and the only way would be a proper annual medical (fat chance) and you would also need to take account of other factors such as obesity etc. which also significantly increases the risk of heart attacks
Fixes: 228

I came across this news item from 2009 about Doctors being required to inform the DVLA
I wonder how many do?
This subject comes up regularly in this forum and I'll state again that I hope I'll be like my father who gave up driving at around 65 when he considered he no longer had the right temperament and that his reactions were slower than when he was younger. He never regretted that decision and I always admired him for it.
A friend of his who is now in his 80's still drives occasionally and even his wife says he doesn't appear to be safe and his daughter ensures either she or her husband collects and takes them home when they plan to visit.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Another factor to take into account is the number of  drivers of all ages who drive under the influence of  drink or  legal or illegal drugs ?
How many young people use cannabis & other things but still go out and drive ? How many older people on prescribed medication would admit their driving was affected by such drugs .?
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: 7up
Many have never taken a test or read the highway code yet will happily claim to be a safe driver because "i've been driving since the war" while claiming others are dangerous.

I find the use of the word many  quite amusing.
The driving test became compulsory on 1st June 1935 which was 29 days before I was born.
Only people in their mid to late 90s would have been driving before test came in.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

While it seems to be fair game to criticise other road users (especially the elderly) I suggest we should also take time to study our own driving technique.
We could start by analysing our own driving mistakes - yes, we all make them at some time or other!
Keeping up to date with the latest edition of the Highway Code - now available online.
Having regular eye tests.
etc, etc.
Finally, for those seniors who really want to improve their driving standards, the Institute of Advanced Motorists (a registered charity) offer a Mature Driver's Assessment - a 60 minute observed drive followed by a written report on your skills and weaknesses.
There are other organisations who offer similar services.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Good points,
Let's hope the insurance companies don't jump on the bandwagon and insist drivers undergo some sort of course every few years
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: nadger
Quote from: 7up
Many have never taken a test or read the highway code yet will happily claim to be a safe driver because "i've been driving since the war" while claiming others are dangerous.

I find the use of the word many  quite amusing.
The driving test became compulsory on 1st June 1935 which was 29 days before I was born.
Only people in their mid to late 90s would have been driving before test came in.

If my grand father was alive today he would not be in his mid to late 90s yet he never took a driving test and proudly told me so many times. HE died at the age of 78 and that was 10 years ago so your statement is not correct as there were military exemptions that you have forgotten about.
Glad to have provided you some amusement  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

My statement was correct as I actually said only people in their mid to late 90s would have been driving before 1st June 1935.
Anyone driving a military vehicle on public roads had to have a licence when I was in the army but may not have needed actual test during WW2. They would still have received instruction.