Did you mean: 

100 year old Drivers

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

100 year old Drivers

Did you watch it ?
It's on my Download Queue for today.

So, no further driving test required, if your Doctor says you are fit to drive ?
Personally, I think a compulsory practical Driving and Eyesight Test is essential, for say over 70's.
It would appear many think they are better drivers than they actually are.

My late Father, although not 100 years old, was a liability as he got older.
He lived in rural Wales, and so needed a car to get about, and despite being advised by his Doctor and Children he should stop driving, he was fiercely Independent and refused to do so.

We visited relatives in Canada a short while ago, my Uncle drove, my Auntie didn't, so was reliant on him.
He suffered from Macular Degeneration, thought he was OK to drive, but in a week of being driven around, we have never been so scared.
Main problem was he didn't see traffic on the side, and we performed many "Emergency Stops" on journeys.
His wife was his eyes...
Only saving grace, it was a large 4x4, so we felt a bit protected.
He didn't hit anything !
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: 100 year old Drivers

It would appear many think they are better drivers than they actually are.
I'm sure that doesn't just apply to over 70's Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

I watched the ITV programme with interest  Cool
In my 80th year my mileage is greatly reduced from 60,000 miles a year I was doing up to age 70 - possibly only do 2,000 miles these days.
Licence still clean  Wink
As was said one only gets a 3 year licence, from age 70, and it does rely on one honestly completing declaration.

Fixes: 125

I have not watch it yet but I've mentioned here before that having worked in Saga Claims dealing with many elderly drivers I am surprised more stringent checks are not made in respect to their fitness to drive.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Living near a university I see the odd thing that really makes me cringe. There is one road which is basically a big dip with a bend at the bottom and speed reduction chicanes at the tops.
I rarely use this road at night but despite that I have seen (twice) the car in front of me move to right side of the road to pass the chicane and then stay on that side of the road around the blind bend and up the hill. Only moving back to the correct side because of the other top chicane.
Hundred year old drivers or young drivers from abroad?
I consider the old drivers much safer and it's the young drivers from abroad that could do with more stringent checks.
Infinity
Pro

Going to watch the programme this afternoon.
Queuing and Paying for Petrol at a Filling Station a while back, before the days of "Pay at Pump" I saw this old, large Mercedes car pull up at one of the Pumps.
With some difficulty, the old male driver got out of the car, SMOKING, and with the aid of two crutches, he could barely walk the few feet to the pump, around the other side of the car. !!!
I quickly paid and got out of there as quickly as I could, fortunately I had also checked tyre pressures, so was away from the Pumps.
The Filling Station was still there the next time I passed !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Saw the program and was not that impressed with what was shown, things like running over the kerb, being in the wrong lane or wandering over dotted white lines shows poor concentration and if the ones shown on the program had been on a real test they would have failed.
Having said that many drivers of all ages would fail their test if taken again as few people keep up to date with the highway code.
Younger drivers have far more accidents than older drivers as insurance figures show but no one suggests retests for younger drivers.
It's even possible to be good at taking tests (of a variety of things) but be bad at putting them into practice.
So driving should be little to do with age and more to do with the ability to drive in a manner that is safe to yourself and others.
Community Veteran

I think you have to renew your driving licence now every 10 years - so why not re-tests for everyone?
Fixes: 125

It's just the photo part that needs to updated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
I think you have to renew your driving licence now every 10 years - so why not re-tests for everyone?
There is already a backlog of people waiting to take the practical test, if it was compulsory every 10 years that would mean over a million drivers a year or more taking the test add to that new drivers a resits and it might be two million, the idea is a non starter
Infinity
Pro

Having just watched the programme...
What an inspirational, delightful collection of older Drivers.
I think if you still have your Marbles, and Driving appears to help you retain them, why not ?
Gumdrop, loved that car. And the Childrens' books.
Val Biro R.I.P

Most enjoyable programme.
Yes, a few mistakes, but no more than seen everyday by other drivers.
Good Luck to them.

I just hope I'm still driving at 100.
Community Veteran

PCUK I disagree. Some of them were dangerous and a hazard to other road users.
When i reach 70, my kids (if i have any) will decide if i am safe to continue or not and i will make this clear to them. If they tell me to stop driving i will trust their judgement and hang up the keys.
Many old timers simply do not realise when their eyes are getting worse yet their driving is seriously affected by it. Many have never taken a test or read the highway code yet will happily claim to be a safe driver because "i've been driving since the war" while claiming others are dangerous.
Yes there are good old drivers but there are also bad ones. Retests and eye tests should be compulsory from 70 onwards.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You mean 2 years after you draw your old age pension  Sad
I agree about eye tests and they are free in any case
Given the difference in accidents per mile http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/olddrive/pub/Chapter1.html unless you are going to retest all drivers under 30 there is no solid argument for testing drivers over 70
Statistically the number of accidents per mile is the same for 20 - 24 year old as for 80 to 84 year old
If you include the fact that the older drivers probably do comparatively less motorway driving than the rest of the population (where accident rates are much lower)
In summary it is only when you are over 80 do the statistics show a significantly higher risk of accidents
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

Personally, I think a compulsory practical Driving and Eyesight Test is essential, for say over 70's.

I will clarify that to be for over 80's
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Statistically the number of accidents per mile is the same for 20 - 24 year old as for 80 to 84 year old
If you include the fact that the older drivers probably do comparatively less motorway driving than the rest of the population (where accident rates are much lower)

I'd say not just less motorway driving but less driving in general yet if they're having the same accidents per mile (while younger people are driving to work, home, out with friends etc) then surely this actually means that those over 80 are more dangerous.
Either way starting to monitor peoples eyes and driving skills from the age of 70 seems like a good idea to me.
Lets not forget, Desmond Lwellyn (Q from James Bond) was killed in a car crash. He used to live in bexhill on sea. I was down there once and one of the taxi drivers told me he was a lovely guy and was frequently seen in the local sainsburys and that he often used to say "Hello Des" and get a polite reply back. He then went on to say that although he was a nice guy, he was a danger on the road and would one day have a serious accident if he didn't stop driving soon. Sure enough.. he did and it cost him his life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!