Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 lies we're told about welfare

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: 10 lies we're told about welfare

Quote from: Hairy
As I said earlier baby factories Crazy

A minority like the Philpott's have given those needy and claiming benefit a bad name (undeservedly).
The chancellor could win a lot of support by restricting child support benefit to the 1st and 2nd child only (as from say a years time).
But to include any immigrants arriving with more than two children.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: nadger
The more I read the happier I become as an OAP.  Smiley
Well I'm in the same category but we may not be happier much longer, whoever wins in 2015 (or before) I Predict that the fuel allowance, bus passes etc will be scrapped and not long after that there will be a freeze on the annual increase on pensions.
What annoys me most is that the present government has known for years about Health Tourism, Major companies paying little or no tax, plus a long list of other fiddles which cost the Tax payer a lot of money yet they keep returning to take even more from those who have the least, well there is a break even point, if you are honest and do not have the money to pay then quite simply what action can they take as thousands of people are either in this position or soon will be ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

They should have stopped CB from people earning more than £40K anyway. Make it so that the benefits don't increase as the no of children rises past 3 say. And clamp a cap on all benefits at £20K. To get more get a job (if you can).
OK that will be very unpopular so will not be done  Crazy
VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 16

"I have a cunning plan..."
Demonise the poor whilst millionaires get tax reductions.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

They should have stopped CB from people earning more than £40K anyway. Make it so that the benefits don't increase as the no of children rises past 3 say. And clamp a cap on all benefits at £20K. To get more get a job (if you can).

I agree. I know that may come as a shock to many around here but we have to be realistic - he had what.. 11 kids? There is no encouragement at all to go and work to support that many children when you can get the state to pay. 11 children is mega expensive and so for people with families that size, relying on the state is the way to survive.
What I do not agree with is cutting benefits completely for those in need. Up to four kids sure I'd happily agree to the system supporting them because as far as I'm concerned, four kids is manageable on a reasonable salary if you're working. Any more than that and.. well why should the state pay for you not to support your own kids?
So.. I think CB should be capped to four kids and anymore you have to pay for yourself by working. Additionally there should be a cap on the max benefits you can get too and a threshold that says no benefits at all if you earn over £X amount (say £20 - 30k?). The state needs to concentrate on HELPING people who are genuinely in the [Censored] and need a helping hand. Not those who want the easy life doing nothing but churning out kids to guarantee they get everything paid for.
I'm not on a witch hunt against benefits 'scroungers' but I do believe the pee takers need to be restricted and that those of us who actually want to work but can't, get help. I'm in that category and my country has turned its back on me a long time ago yet if I had 11 kids...  Angry
Something has to change. We can't support huge layabout families but we can and MUST support smaller genuine familes / individuals who are in the [Censored] and need help. Unfortunately though, everyone who needs state help is now a philpott according to Osborne and Camoron.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Changes have already been announced:
Child benefit is currently a universal benefit. It is worth £20.30 a week for the first child, then £13.20 a week for each subsequent child. However, from January 7 next year, any family in which anyone earns more than £50,000 will see their payment reduced, depending on the earnings above that level. Anyone who earns more than £60,000 will see their family's benefit disappear completely.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

£50k is still a lot of money though isn't it and frankly I think that threshold should be lower.
If you have £50k household income there is no reason to be struggling to bring up a family - unless you've over stretched yourself.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 332

But that extra almost £1750  (for two children) must pay for at least one Florida holiday each year?
Can't take that away from them Wink Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Naw send the kids to boarding school and go on 2 holidays  Crazy Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
But that extra almost £1750  (for two children) must pay for at least one Florida holiday each year?

OMG I hope not. They may stay somewhere near me Sad